Square Boring Head question

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
How does the knurled ring work on top. I've never used one of these before.
Thanks.
1546129487304.png

Hi
I believe that is a locking collar . Are you missing the other half of the boring head?
Cheers
Martin

There's more?
Oh you mean the boring bar holder?
That was off in the pic as I was cleaning it up.

Look for an online catalog, I think that knurled ring is a special feature, not sure exactly what it does.

Is it possibly a boring and facing head?

We have some larger heads at work with a knurled collar that can be used to face radially by holding the collar while it is turning..

-Bear

That is a Criterion tenths setting collar. I know what it is but I've never used one. Sorry to be useless.

I can not find any info on the website. There is a small flat on the ring which says lock. There are two small shallow holes on opposite ends. Underneath I can see one Allan head that is not accessible because it is under square part of the head. I wonder if I cut ab aloen key if I could get in there. Hmm.

I think I remember that you have to use a very stubby hex key to get in there to unlock it.

Okay that would make sense. I knew that little tray I kept w/hundreds of allen keys were going to come in handy some day.

On a side note.
I can't use the boring head as it is as I don't have a way to hold it.
Against the advice of others I cut the shank down to a stub. I have a pair of split R8 collets so i used one to hold it in the mill.
Originally I was going to turn down the shank to use in a 7/8" R8 collet but I realized the collet only grabs on about 3/4" so decided to just chop it off.
I put a Borite bar I have and tried it out, just checking run-out. No matter how many adjustments I made could not get less than .005" TIR.

Back