Square dies

DiscoDan

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I bought an auction lot that included some large size square dies. Are the square ones used for something specific?

Usually for pipe threads, old school, but some were made for bolt threads as well.. I have a nice, complete set of pipe threading dies and handle that I inherited from my dad, probably about 1900 vintage, still in the original box. IIRC, the dies are about 3 1/2" square.

I acquired some early square dies a while back. Upon closer inspection they turned out to be Whitworth threads, and they might be useful to someone restoring old machines

Steve.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

The modern producers of cheap round dies should take notice of the old square dies.............no matter how cheaply made the holder,they worked OK,unlike the modern round dies that shear a soft screw and turn in the mazak holder at will.

My dads shop had several sets of square dies in two different out side dimensions with ratcheting handles and other hardware. I think they are mostly pipe thread, but I need to take a closer look when I dig them out of the trailer this spring. Kept a lot of his stuff for sentimental reasons. Think I will end up putting a lot of it up on the walls in the new shop. Mike

I bought an auction lot that included some large size square dies. Are the square ones used for something specific?

My guess would be square bolts ? :big grin:

I also inherited a bunch of these square dies that I hang onto for sentimental reasons . Along with the other old tooling , that most likely is what I'll keep and show them on a mantle or such . :)

Back