[How do I?] Square Hole ?

ELHEAD

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Making a couple of cranks for a DP vise . 9MM hole needed . Any suggestions, short of an expensive broach?

A small file comes to mind. A small sharp chisel will also work. You can also make a simple broach to square around hole. Harden a piece of square stock and sharpen the cutting edge. It can be pushed through to cut the square with a large vise or press. Use plenty of lubricant.

If the corners don't need to be sharp you can drill out the centre and mill the corners with a small end mill. This on accepts a 1/2 inch socket drive.
IMG_0049.jpg

Greg

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

Rotary broaches are also an option, expensive to buy, but can be shop made. I have no experience with them myself, but there are YouTube videos about making and using them.

I needed to cut a square hole some time ago. Made a tool identical to a shaper keyway cutter, and used my mill quill to gently broach tiny amounts of material out. Only a little at a time, and rotate the spindle for each side. This is a good way to get the bulk out, then filing for a close fit.

I wouldn't do it this way again, but it did work. If i were to do it again I would make a different shape broach and do it in the lathe using the carriage instead of the quill. But, I didn't have the lathe at the time when I needed that square hole.

Drill the 4 corners at the points with a 3/16" drill then mill the square with a 3/16" endmill. It should give you enough clearance on the corners for a square and it will drive on the flats.

Back