[How do I?] Square Hole ?

If you are going all the way through, AND have a mig welder, perhaps find some square tubing that has a 1"x1" ID. Then, drill a hole big enough for that to 'slip' into the 2x2 tubing, and weld it into place.
It's always tough to ask these types of questions via a keyboard, but what is the purpose of getting square tubing with a 1" inner dimension, Erich? I really appreciate the suggestion, but I honestly don't understand the upside of the larger outer dimension...and don't take this the wrong way because I'm really interested in learning as much as I can about working with steel. I've been working with wood since my days as a kid on the farm, so this is all pretty interesting to me. :)

It's always tough to ask these types of questions via a keyboard, but what is the purpose of getting square tubing with a 1" inner dimension, Erich? I really appreciate the suggestion, but I honestly don't understand the upside of the larger outer dimension...and don't take this the wrong way because I'm really interested in learning as much as I can about working with steel. I've been working with wood since my days as a kid on the farm, so this is all pretty interesting to me. :)
The ID makes up the "hole", and I thought you said you needed a 1"x1" square hole? The idea is that your thru hole is "lined" with the 1.25 square pipe.

Depending on the length of your 2*2 I would still suggest a square broach on your arbor press (NOT hydraulic press!). To prevent the top piece from crushing from the pressure you can just shove some stock in the box to support the top layer.

The triangles idea above (drill the center, then use a saw to cut the diagonals and bend them in) is also a really good one.

It all sort of depends on your requirements and available tooling.

The ID makes up the "hole", and I thought you said you needed a 1"x1" square hole? The idea is that your thru hole is "lined" with the 1.25 square pipe.

Depending on the length of your 2*2 I would still suggest a square broach on your arbor press (NOT hydraulic press!). To prevent the top piece from crushing from the pressure you can just shove some stock in the box to support the top layer.

The triangles idea above (drill the center, then use a saw to cut the diagonals and bend them in) is also a really good one.

It all sort of depends on your requirements and available tooling.
It reads as if some more information is in order here, Erich. The fancy rack project that I'm trying to figure out is based on 2" x 2" x 0.065" (thickness) mild steel tubing, which are essentially used as the vertical supports in the design. There will be (10) of these vertical supports in the rack, (5) in front and (5) roughly 22" behind. The 1" x 1" square tubing in the design will be used to connect the front 2 x 2s to the rears and will also be used to bear the load as horizontal members in the design. So just imagine (10) 2 x 2 legs being linked together, both front to rear and side to side with 1 x 1 square tubing.

No doubt, there are racks out there that could be purchased, but this rack will be used to support some very expensive and odd-shaped audio/video equipment in a very large room, so the customer has a "custom" rack in mind. Normally, we would simply laminate a bunch of nice hardwood together and use the mortise and tenon techniques I was taught as a kid to construct a beautiful rack, but this customer wants a "hybrid" of steel and wood, so there you go.

Back to the rack "skeleton" of the design, I think that I understand what you're suggesting with the 1" x 1" ID steel tubing now. What you're suggesting is that we use what I would call a "sleeve" to feed the 1" x 1" OD tubing through. That's a very interesting idea, but one thing that gives me pause with that design is that the 1" x 1" ID sleeves would have to be pretty "square" in regard to the 2" x 2" uprights to make this work. In other words, the sleeves you've proposed would have to pass through the uprights -- square on all four sides -- for the horizontal members of the design to end up both square and horizontally level. This is a very good idea, but I'm not sure that our mag drill, as nicely as it works, can be lined in such a way that we're sure that the holes it cuts are at a perfect 90-degrees with respect to the 2 x 2s. I mean, the 1 x 1s you've linked me to have an inner dimension of 1.010" x 1.010," and 0.01" isn't a lot of "play," if you know what I mean.

Considering that the posts/legs in the design are are only 0.065" in thickness, there is clearly a risk of deformation in pressing a broach through round holes. Eight of the legs in the rack will be about 47.5" in length, so being able to support the steel surrounding the "intermediate" pass-through holes during arbor pressing would problematic, as well. Sorry for anything that sounds negative, but I'm simply typing as I think through the steps in your suggestion...

As for the broach itself, what type of steel blank would you suggest for fabricating such a tool? I've seen a couple of YT videos showing folks making their own steel "press broaches," but they don't really get into a lot details about the materials they started out with. I even saw one in which a guy made one out of rebar. He started out grinding the "rod" into a beveled shaped, cut perpendicular slots into the sides of the newly-formed square, heated the tool up with two propane torches and quenched the finished product in water. I suppose that this could work to press a limited number of holes, but my experience with rebar tells me that it wouldn't last very long. I've seen short blanks of M2 HSS for sale, but I also have no idea how hard that would be to bevel down and, more to the point, how long such a blank would have to be for such a broach?

I apologize for the eyestrain, but I suppose that goes with being a bona fide steel novice. Lots of questions...

It reads as if some more information is in order here, Erich. The fancy rack project that I'm trying to figure out is based on 2" x 2" x 0.065" (thickness) mild steel tubing, which are essentially used as the vertical supports in the design. There will be (10) of these vertical supports in the rack, (5) in front and (5) roughly 22" behind. The 1" x 1" square tubing in the design will be used to connect the front 2 x 2s to the rears and will also be used to bear the load as horizontal members in the design. So just imagine (10) 2 x 2 legs being linked together, both front to rear and side to side with 1 x 1 square tubing.

No doubt, there are racks out there that could be purchased, but this rack will be used to support some very expensive and odd-shaped audio/video equipment in a very large room, so the customer has a "custom" rack in mind. Normally, we would simply laminate a bunch of nice hardwood together and use the mortise and tenon techniques I was taught as a kid to construct a beautiful rack, but this customer wants a "hybrid" of steel and wood, so there you go.

Back to the rack "skeleton" of the design, I think that I understand what you're suggesting with the 1" x 1" ID steel tubing now. What you're suggesting is that we use what I would call a "sleeve" to feed the 1" x 1" OD tubing through. That's a very interesting idea, but one thing that gives me pause with that design is that the 1" x 1" ID sleeves would have to be pretty "square" in regard to the 2" x 2" uprights to make this work. In other words, the sleeves you've proposed would have to pass through the uprights -- square on all four sides -- for the horizontal members of the design to end up both square and horizontally level. This is a very good idea, but I'm not sure that our mag drill, as nicely as it works, can be lined in such a way that we're sure that the holes it cuts are at a perfect 90-degrees with respect to the 2 x 2s. I mean, the 1 x 1s you've linked me to have an inner dimension of 1.010" x 1.010," and 0.01" isn't a lot of "play," if you know what I mean.

Considering that the posts/legs in the design are are only 0.065" in thickness, there is clearly a risk of deformation in pressing a broach through round holes. Eight of the legs in the rack will be about 47.5" in length, so being able to support the steel surrounding the "intermediate" pass-through holes during arbor pressing would problematic, as well. Sorry for anything that sounds negative, but I'm simply typing as I think through the steps in your suggestion...

As for the broach itself, what type of steel blank would you suggest for fabricating such a tool? I've seen a couple of YT videos showing folks making their own steel "press broaches," but they don't really get into a lot details about the materials they started out with. I even saw one in which a guy made one out of rebar. He started out grinding the "rod" into a beveled shaped, cut perpendicular slots into the sides of the newly-formed square, heated the tool up with two propane torches and quenched the finished product in water. I suppose that this could work to press a limited number of holes, but my experience with rebar tells me that it wouldn't last very long. I've seen short blanks of M2 HSS for sale, but I also have no idea how hard that would be to bevel down and, more to the point, how long such a blank would have to be for such a broach?

I apologize for the eyestrain, but I suppose that goes with being a bona fide steel novice. Lots of questions...
Thats good info! Mag drills are typically pretty square, but I don't have a good idea of how square you could get yours. You're right, I meant for it to be a 'sleeve' welded into the 2x2, then have the 1x1 OD tube you're thinking of go inside of that. If you want more 'room' inside, you can choose the 1.25" square with a thinner wall, I picked that one because it was the closest to a 1". Note that a 1" broach is going to cut a 1" square hole, and ALSO need a good 'starter hole'.

Based on your requirements, this guy: https://www.speedymetals.com/pc-4765-8251-1-14-x-41664-x-1-14-wall-square-steel-tubing.aspx might be better, at about 1-1/8" ID, and the same wall thickness(makes the welding easier!).

For the broaching, to avoid collapsing, you'd need to put some material that is a 'tight fit' on the inside to support the top layer.

To make your own broach, I'd suggest using some sort of hardenable steel. Cutting M2 is going to be really difficult, so I'd probably suggest something like O1 or A2 tool steel (or the variety of others!). A piece of rebar isn't likely to last long as I can't imagine it has much carbon to get too hard.

I might suggest buying a broach, Mcmaster has a 1" that is quite expensive ($800+!), which seems to be the going rate, if your budget can accept that. Else, cheapest I found was this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/352962725118 for $450.

Though, of course, the broach probably has an even TOUGHER time being lined up 'square' than the sleeve insert I mentioned. Once you cut the broach, you're stuck with where it is. At least with the sleeve you could weld up a quick "L" shaped" example that you could square 'rotationally' on before you weld it in place.

Making a couple of cranks for a DP vise . 9MM hole needed . Any suggestions, short of an expensive broach?
Don't know about that size (about 0.355 inch) but you can buy a variety of square holes
suitable for welding to a handle... like from this place
Sturdy Broaching

Failing a size match isn't a fatal flaw: turn the exterior cylinder to a taper, saw a few
slots, and a square socket blank turns to a collet: ram into a tapered hole
and braze it when it shrinks to the target size. Maybe support the hole with a right-size
bit of scrap.

Or, go old blacksmith style, make a square-cross-section tapered drift.
Heat the socket red, and drive the drift through the not-quite-big-enough aperture.

Don't know about that size (about 0.355 inch) but you can buy a variety of square holes
suitable for welding to a handle... like from this place
Sturdy Broaching

Failing a size match isn't a fatal flaw: turn the exterior cylinder to a taper, saw a few
slots, and a square socket blank turns to a collet: ram into a tapered hole
and braze it when it shrinks to the target size. Maybe support the hole with a right-size
bit of scrap.

Or, go old blacksmith style, make a square-cross-section tapered drift.
Heat the socket red, and drive the drift through the not-quite-big-enough aperture.
Not sure how costly those are, but they might be better for @RedOak s problem! That way you don't have to fill in as much with welds!

Given that we do own a very nice German swiveling-base mag drill and a wide variety of annular cutters, the round cold roll mild steel "sleeves" seem like a great suggestion, but, as Erich wrote, they may be cost prohibitive. Please keep in mind that are at least (22) pass-throughs in this design, which, obviously, would call for a bunch of round sleeves.

So back to the square sleeve idea...Erich, are you suggesting that we employ a 1" press broach? If we go for the nice oversized 1.25" x 1.25" OD x 0.065" (wall thickness) tubing you linked me to in your last post, wouldn't we also need a 1.25" x 1.25" press broach to accommodate the sleeves with the 1.12" x 1.12" square ID? Once again, I'm simply processing your idea through as I type...

Given that we do own a very nice German swiveling-base mag drill and a wide variety of annular cutters, the round cold roll mild steel "sleeves" seem like a great suggestion, but, as Erich wrote, they may be cost prohibitive. Please keep in mind that are at least (22) pass-throughs in this design, which, obviously, would call for a bunch of round sleeves.

So back to the square sleeve idea...Erich, are you suggesting that we employ a 1" press broach? If we go for the nice oversized 1.25" x 1.25" OD x 0.065" (wall thickness) tubing you linked me to in your last post, wouldn't we also need a 1.25" x 1.25" press broach to accommodate the sleeves with the 1.12" x 1.12" square ID? Once again, I'm simply processing your idea through as I type...
I searched, and those are quite expensive, only listing I found was: https://www.reidsupply.com/en-us/p/machine-tool-sleeves/shs-p100

Looks like they are sold in 5" lengths only at $40 each! So about $500 for all 22 holes (that is, each does 2).

The press-broach was an alternative to the cheap-square-stock sleeve thought. You don't need a press-broach for my idea, because the idea is that you drill a hole, then fill in the remaining 'chord' area with a weld.

So your process would be:
1- Drill the 1-?47/64"? hole where you want the square centered.
2- take a slightly-more-than 2" long piece of the 1.25x1.25 square tube, and push it into the hole you just drilled.
3- "straighten" the holes with some sort of jig to be 'straight' axially (that is, on the axis of the bore).
4- weld the OD of the 1.25" square into the 'round' hole you drilled, this requires filling in ~1/4" at the 'peak' of each circle-segment, which obviously gets smaller the closer you get to the corners.
5- Grind everything flat to the outside of the 2x2 square tube.

For the straightening (step 3), I think you could take 2 pieces of 1" square tube and weld them along 1 side at a 90 degree angle (where the flats both line up). 1 piece would be about 2" long, the other however long you have for scrap/gets you the required 'striaghtness' Then, you can put it into the sleeve and use it as a wrench to 'twist' it until the extended part is parallel to the 2x2 square.

50 pieces:
send them out to someone that has an iron worker or such and punch them. should be easy to fab a plug insert with a stop to support it

if you have to buy a punch it's much cheaper than that broach

Although the round pass-through sleeves are a great idea, we don't have an extra $500 in the budget. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but the folks we're building the A/V rack for are repeat customers and, believe it or not, they want us to do the work from beginning to end. We've built several pieces of custom furniture for them over they years...and there's no other way to put it, they like the products we produce for them.

I appreciate all your help, Erich, but I think that we're going to fabricate a broach for the job. I understand that we'll have to support the inside of the vertical 2 x 2 steel tubing to accomplish this -- without deforming the work -- but it looks like that's the best way to go under the circumstances.

I've found a source just across the border who can supply several different types of blanks, including A2 or O1. In fact, they can supply several different types of square blanks to us, so I'd like to ask you, if you had any type of steel to work with, which one would be your top pick for such a steel broach? I'm assuming that it would either be A2 or O1, but I'd appreciate it if you would kindly suggest a single type of tool steel.

Thanks again ~ Red

Last edited:
Back