Square Pegs Into Round Holes

well i went further than i thought i would!

i went off the deep end on this train wreck :congratulate:

i printed a reproduction, devoid of material on the distal end-
to accept an externally threaded bushing to be adhered to the collet body

i took a piece of 2011-T3 and reduced the major diameter to .749" for about 1.5"
i single point threaded the billet to 3/4"-10 tpi, and checked fit against the delrin nut i made earlier.
i drilled the billet to 19/32" and parted off

IMG_3986.jpg

i transferred the bushing to the unimat and bored the bushing to .600" with a microlux .200" carbide boring tool

IMG_3987.jpg

here is the progress after bonding the threaded bushing to the PLA body.
i'm experimenting with vinyl cement and light press fit for retention of the bushing

IMG_3988.jpg

next act will be the relief cut on the threads!

watch for more, if you DARE!

well i went further than i thought i would!

i went off the deep end on this train wreck :congratulate:

i printed a reproduction, devoid of material on the distal end-
to accept an externally threaded bushing to be adhered to the collet body

i took a piece of 2011-T3 and reduced the major diameter to .749" for about 1.5"
i single point threaded the billet to 3/4"-10 tpi, and checked fit against the delrin nut i made earlier.
i drilled the billet to 19/32" and parted off

View attachment 315681

i transferred the bushing to the unimat and bored the bushing to .600" with a microlux .200" carbide boring tool

View attachment 315682

here is the progress after bonding the threaded bushing to the PLA body.
i'm experimenting with vinyl cement and light press fit for retention of the bushing

View attachment 315683

next act will be the relief cut on the threads!

watch for more, if you DARE!
Mike,
Nothing succeeds like excess!

Nice!
Evan

after bonding the PLA collet to the threaded bushing, a relief cut need to be made in the threads.
(the relief runs against a small locating pin in the sharpener collet holder that prevents the collet from rotating in operation.)

i set the collet in my small shop made vise and relieved the threads with a 3mm 4flute endmill @3750 rpm,
i held the small endmill in a drill chuck in the Unimat DB200, and took light cuts to 2mm deep

IMG_3999.jpg IMG_4001.jpg

fit and finish coming soon!

Last edited:
Back