Squaring Bridgeport mill 2J round protractor swivel

EmilioG

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Is there a best way to square the round swivel protractor to align it with the table? I just set it to zero. Then tram x and y. Just curious if this head swivel protractor is adjustable with an indicator. Maybe using the side of the vise?

If you are talking about the turret, setting it to 0 is close enough, but............. My favorite way of doing it is to put an indicator in the spindle, indicate in a straight edge on the Y axis. Then run the ram in and out as you rotate the turret to align it with the Y axis. Doing this allows you to move the ram in & out without losing your X 0.

I’ll try that Jim. Thanks. Good idea. It was funny, because the other day my friend was trying to cut an angle and couldn’t figure out why, after tramming, then tilting the head 27 degrees, his cut was off. I showed him the turret wasn’t on zero.!!!

It doesn't care where it is, You can have it on 20 degrees, Y travel is dependent on the knee.

He is talking about the head not being (Trammed).

Do you know how to realign the head to the table?

If you're tilting the head in X, for an angle cut, it does matter where the turret is. I tram the mill using a Mitutoyo .001" back plunger indicator.
The vise is squared using a .0005" indicator. Done it a thousand times with no problems. If the turrets protractor is not on zero before tilting the head for an angle cut, the spindle will not be square to the vise.IMG_2157.JPG

There are lots of Youtubes on this subject,I am one who needs to see helps me lot better than reading how to do it.Which I just did mine this weekend,first time I really use an indicator keep over shooting.So I got my inside calipers set the x axes then the nod.For me it was the nod that give me trouble.

I start the Y axis low. Going up. Then tighten the bolts gently to about 50 ft/lbs. in cross pattern.

Back