Stabilized English Wheel

twowhites

Registered
Registered
I know this method to stabilize the Harbor Freight English wheel has been done many times before, but I thought I would show my version with a few mods. The bottom rectangular steel tube with the orange end cap was part of a free treadmill I picked up for the motor (for a die filer). I added the ratcheting casters, the rubber band from Trick Tools and the Klutch anvils from Northern Tool. I found the close-match spray paint at Home Depot. Now I just have to start wheeling something.

Attachments

• English Wheel.png
    English Wheel.png
    804.4 KB · Views: 52
It allows the metal to just move in two dimensions...checkout this Eastwood video which explains it quite well:
English wheels can make some amazing shapes.

What is the rubber band for? Never have used an English wheel.
There are many guys using the English Wheel but one of the masters IMHO is Wray Schelin at Pro Shaper.com He doesn’t use rubber bands but sometimes uses rubber wheels. He has a great series all about the English wheel and it’s one of best I’ve run into. This is three parts but just the first part is chock full of incredible tips. Wray is an exotic car restorer and has over 200 vids.
He demo’s how to make a quick Alfa fender panel without a rubber band. Rubber band has its uses but it forms really fast and it’s easy to get in trouble and overshoot.

I had seen some of Wray's videos...he really is amazing. I hadn't seen this video before... good stuff. I like Lazze's videos as well. He is a big fan of the rubber band. They both have some impressive tools.

I like Lazze too, he’s more a tool snob where Wrayis a fan of HF and tells you how to make or buy inexpensive tools. Both have incredible chops. For me the rubber band is something I’m going to work up too.

Back