stand for mill-drill machine

I talked to a few welders. One said it would cost $1,000.
I sent the sketch I posted to another one. He recommended that I use 2" square tube material and put leveling feet on it. Quote was about $225 unpainted.

Another good idea! I'm wondering if they'd hold the weight, though? Even with a top that spreads the weight, they may not hold that much.

I thought I could put some square tubing inside at the four corners. I think I'd have to take out the drawers and slides, though. Hmm...I'd have to see a file cabinet and see how much space is inside. I only have wood ones at home.

BTW, what are the dimensions of the base of most of these mill/drills? I couldn't find anything on any of the websites for base dimensions. It would help when I'm looking for some sort of base to know dimensions. If they vary, that's fine; I need to smallest dimensions to make sure I look at stands that will fit it.

The base on my mill/drill is 15" wide by 24" long.
The stand for my radial arm saw is pretty stout. You could always buy two and double up each leg. Or stiffen each leg with angle iron.

With a file cabinet I put the steel supports on the outside. That way you could still use the drawers. Angle iron welded to each corner might be better then a steel tube.

Have you considered learning how to weld?
A cheap Tig/stick machine would run you about what you like spend on thus stand. Yeah it'll take time but it soooo worth it

Have you considered learning how to weld?
A cheap Tig/stick machine would run you about what you like spend on thus stand. Yeah it'll take time but it soooo worth it

I have, actually! I just haven't had the time. However, I can have the students at the adult school were I work make one for me for the cost of material.

Back