Stand for New Mill

rwm

Robert
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
As you may have seen, I recently got a new PM 728 mill:

1594337226820.png

I wanted a stand that would incorporate a tool box so here goes:

1594337272172.png

As an aside, I have this awesome Dewalt chop saw that uses a 14" carbide blade cuts steel like butter. I cut all this 120 wall tubing with it. Faster and easier than a band saw.

1594337292956.png

1594337315847.png

More to follow.

Robert

Nice stand!
Nice shop! I t looks like you're working in your living room!

My shop is in the house in a spare room. I plan to put 1/4 HDPE down with an aluminum chip tray over that.
Here is the stand (in the living room) after paint.

1594918098111.png

Hockey puck foot:

1594918123874.png

R

Very nicely done. The diagonal bracing makes a solid stand. How is it front to back for rigidity?
You may need to add some bracing there as well considering the front is open.

I have some comments on the mill so far but I will update this thread as I get familiar with the mill.
The table and X/Y axis movements seem very smooth and precise. Back lash is about .003 out of the box. The Z axis is also fine.
The quill is another story. The lever downfeed feels rough, like a cheap drill press. The fine feed is obviously not machined correctly since it binds at a certain degree of rotation. Seems like the worm gear is drilled off center. That is very disappointing. Not sure if it is fixable. I reality I don't think I will use the fine feed much but for $4K I expected more.
Maybe I am being picky but there are several annoying issues with the electronics: The quill DRO automatically turns on when you move the quill but has no auto-off. So if you happen to bump the quill handle the display will come on and stay on until the battery is dead. That is a silly design at best. I want to know the guy who thought auto-on without an auto -off was a good idea. My battery is almost dead already and I haven't used the mill.
Also, when you power the machine off normally, the circuit board begins to beep to alarm you that power has been lost. Duh. This might be helpful on a production machine that is on all day but when I turn my mill off I don't expect 9-10 warning beeps! WTF! I am pretty sure the piezo speaker on that board is coming off very shortly. That's a shame because it will also beep for over-temp or over-current so I will lose that capability and probably void the warranty. Is this engineering really that hard? Seriously?
Robert

Stupid question time....you checked all the settings in the DRO? Maybe you can disable those annoying "features".

Back