Stand Up Threading Insert

Your design has two sides to register the insert and prevent movement. It should work well. The A.R. Warner design is using 1/2in bar, so the partial support on the front may be a compromise.

FWIW, I have broken the bottom insert support “tab” off of 2 Warner 3/8” holders, both were my fault, lost track of cross slide handle turns backing it out and back in while threading. The Hertel holder looks to me to be much stronger, but I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or not on a bench lathe like mine.

Tom

FWIW, I have broken the bottom insert support “tab” off of 2 Warner 3/8” holders, both were my fault, lost track of cross slide handle turns backing it out and back in while threading. The Hertel holder looks to me to be much stronger, but I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or not on a bench lathe like mine.

Tom
I have a couple that are 1/2" shank which I use on my 9" SBL. Works fine for me. I have several larger shank ones I use on my other lathes.
And I have destroyed a couple over the years running them into the chuck jaws on a 16" Axelson lathe! On the 9" SBL, I have knocked the old style one with the clamp right off, getting too close the the chuck. And I have busted out my share of inserts, too! That's when you usually do damage to the pocket.
I also have holders for laydown style of inserts and also Top notch holders, too. Most of the time, it depends on what inserts I have on hand and which holder they fit in.

Back