Standard Modern 10x24?

TrxR

Registered
Registered
Where were the standard modern lathes built? Also what would the bore size be on a 10x24?

Thanks

They had moved from Canada last March 2012 to just outside Philly,Pa.
Order parts from there.
Don't know the bore size of a 10"
You can call them and asked "George" He is the main man there.
Standad Modern lathes are great tools.
I own 7 lathes ..3 are Standard Modern.
Robbie

TrxR, If you have the 10x24 Utilathe or what is commonly called the 10" Utilathe and it has a D1-3 Spindle then your bore is 1 5/16"
if it a older model I don't know what the bore would be.
Be more specific about the model and spindle type since the older lathes had threaded spindles.
Cheers
BB

I dont know anything about it as I dont own it. It was on Kijiji. and was curious if it was worth looking at for doing rifle barrels.

TrxR, for rifle barrels you would be hard pressed to find a better gunsmithing lathe in my opinion. If you are looking
at the one from Ottawa, it is a model that I own and it does have a camlock spindle, if the bed and headstock bearings are good
it might be a real gem, you would have to inspect it under power for sure and make shure everything works.
These lathes have some very important features that are not easily available in on other lathes for example:
1. Very short headstock that will allow lots of room for setups, the Utilathe runs about 18" from back cover to spindle nose,
alot of lathes are much longer than this and will not allow shorter barrels to be chambered in the headstock, case in point
is how often you hear people reccomending a 14x40 as a minimun for chambering, the Utilathe doesn't suffer from this restriction
due tio it's short headstock, so unless you want to work between centers you don't need a longer lathe.
2. Good speed range, 12 speeds form 50 to 1500 rpm.
3. Heavy build for it's size.
4. threading range from 4 to 224 TPI.
5. Reversible Camlock spindle
6. Very easy lathe to repair and parts are available.
7. Very easy to transport since the base and the lathe itself can be taken apart, there
are alot of these lathes in home basements all over the country, mine included.
Cheers
BB

Back