Standard Modern 1340

Thank you for the suggestions, I will definitely check into them. Once I open up the feedbox (probably next week), I will have a better idea of exactly what I will need. I'll keep you updated.

Good news! I was able to find a new old stock limit switch on ebay. I have received it in, and will be installing it this week. It's funny, the more I work on this machine, the more I like it. The good thing is runout is minimal, and it is in pretty good shape. I want to adjust the backlash a little, possible make some leadscrew nuts for it to take out some of the backlash, but other than that it is turning into a pretty nice machine.

I got the limit switch installed, and now everything runs as it should! Next, I will be getting those missing gears for the feedbox, and get that working correctly. I posted pic's in the restoration thread, but I will go ahead and post some eye candy here in the next couple of posts.

Nice work, It is not a disposable machine and one you will enjoy working with and repair when needed, people who own them take pride in owning the last north american domestic lathe that served so well from training schools to the military, I love mine.
Keep them well lubricated and they will last. Their short headstock also makes them into fantastic gunsmithing lathes for barrell work.
bb

What phase converter did you use? I bought a 1340 and need to purchase the converter.

I used a VFD off of ebay. It was one of the cheap Chinese ones that are about $250. I have used a few of these and they seem to hold up well.

The only place I could think of besides ebay would be direct from LeBlond. They are the parts distributor for Standard Modern.

Back