Standard modern lathe misalignment

Leveling and test cut was my very first test and the result was so bad.
In the kingdom of klunkers bed twist a serious topic, belive it.
After 25 plus years I know exactly how to make a lathe cut straight and have on lathes with a working envelope of 96 inches by 30 feet to one thats a bench top.

After 25 plus years I know exactly how to make a lathe cut straight and have on lathes with a working envelope of 96 inches by 30 feet to one thats a bench top.
Respect! Experience is golden.
Now is there a way to learn how quicker than 25 years of trial and error? I don't have that many years left.

Tim

Start with a straight edge and your best level.
Place the straight edge diagonally across the bed ways and take something and mark where you are using the straight edge.
Now take your level and place it near center of the straight edge, mark its location on the straight edge.
Read your level, snap a pic on your phone.
Remove the level and move the straight edge to the opposite diagonal direction.
Set it down so you are using the same area you marked before, place the level inside the Mark's you made before.
Read your level.
This will show you the twist the other twenty years is when you learn HOW to get the twist out....lol20210210_164020.jpg20210210_164321.jpg
Sorry pictures are not a great but they help to convey the message.

Y
I'm only a hobby machinist
Your in the right place!
There is so much knowledge and experience on this forum that can help you down the right path.
As far as levels there are some affordable used levels floating around.

If you dont have a straight edge find a decent price of bar stock. The idea of marking the locations on the bar is so you use the same area.
Think of it as we know nothing is perfect.
Whatever inaccuracies you have you maintain them through the process.
by keeping the level the same way each time the bar sitting on the ways in the same area.

Back