Standard Modern

As much as you're willing to pay. It is a nice machine.

That's a lot of semolians.

But I want it.

I can only tell you my personal thoughts about it's value with the following observations in mind:

1) SM made good lathes and parts are generally available. SM has gone in/out of receivership over the years but I think parts are available for most of their common models. I heard they went back in business in the USA but not sure if that got off the ground or not.
2) D1-6 spindle (OK but I actually prefer D1-4).
3) 30" bed. (I have a 36" bed and sometimes feel it's too short).
4) It has a taper attachment (nice to have).
5) 5 HP motor. Seems like over-kill for anything that will fit in that size envelope. 5HP VFD is expensive and have no room for rotary converters.
6) Big down-side: Threading chart does not show metric threads. 30% of the shafts I make have metric threads.
7) It's a more complex machine with internal oil pumps and journaled shafts. More to troubleshoot if things go wrong.
8) It has helical transmission gears. Runs really smooth but those gears are not cheap if they need to be replaced.

If it's being sold "as-is" w/ no warranty, I personally would not fork-out more than 4 grand for it with the assumption I would need to put $500 to $1000 in misc repair costs. If it needs transmission gears, spindle bearings or a leadscrew, costs will go over $1000 -fast.

Ray

It is a nice machine. That being said, I paid 4k for my TOS, which is in a similar class quality, and feature wise. It's 2002 vintage, 7hp, longer bed, 1" less swing, same thru spindle size or slightly larger, speed range of 14-2500 rpm (my favorite feature) and weighs almost 2000 lbs more. From the pic this looks like a resale business, and they generally want top dollar. I think I'd keep looking, but it can't hurt to make an offer. Mike

Inter plant sales is a machinery dealer. I remember them when I looked for machines in the 70's and 80's.
Usually asking more than what the equipment is worth but depends on what you are willing to pay.
Its nice to have machines close and sometimes pays off when shipping plays a factor.

5hp vfd. Good point on that one.
I've never come close to using my length of my bed. I think the longest part was the TP grinder spindle at just over a foot.

As previously stated: Interplant Sales in Hugo, MN. They are an interesting bunch. Been there several times and bought a few odds and ends (under 1K). No major purchases. They are high on most of their stuff. Might be worth a visit in person if a reasonable drive. They have two warehouses full of machinery and accessories.

I did email them about an SM that is a little older. He did say they cut metric threads but the label is inside the back cover. History is unknown. The new paint looks. from the pics, to be very well done. Although that is a concern for me. I'm out of commission now due to work schedule until a week from tomorrow so maybe get up there after that.

Well, my 15" x 31" Sheldon I just rebuilt has gone up in value!

Back