Standard Modern

We bought a new SM 13x32? lathe in 2012 for delivery to military customer. Nice machine. At the time they were located in Horsham, Pa. Very friendly and good to work with.

I run a 5hp single to three phase Yaskawa v1000 vfd. Paid around 700$ u.s. for it. Japanese and very high quality. Standard modern are great machines. Super smooth and generally overbuilt. It s what the Canadian and U.S. military use. If I ever win the lottery I ll have a new 1660 S.M. In the shop. They Are still making machines today.

I looked at a 1640 yesterday (looks more like a 1630 to me). 7.5hp w/vfd, dro & taper attachment. Motor is brand new and some other parts. Asking price $3200. Anyway this is the real deal. I quickly realized it is more than I would need at this time and probably in the future. But it is a steal imo for the price and the amount of machine you get.

Less?
I agree about looking better.

Less than original post topic. I guess this thread is a little old, didn’t notice that

See my previous post. Interplant does have a lot of SM lathes in stock. They have multiple machine tools besides lathes that they fix up and repaint in the back half of one of their warehouses.
They have a lot of machines listed on their website that sit there month after month.

From my understanding they buy out entire shops.
Sell the "good" stuff to other dealers and sell the rest to the public.
This is only what I've heard. IMO there is nothing wrong with that.

Back