Standard or custom tool? What might it be used for? Insert designation?

Firstgear

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I bought a bunch of tools recently and there were several of these. I included one in my order ($3 per pound). Looks to be a turning insert holder? It came with one insert in it. Can anyone guess what it might have been used for as well as what the insert designation is?

That's a "cartridge" style tool holder for CNC machining centers. The numbers on it should yield some results on insert type/size.

here are the only numbers....help?

6386-3652 CHG A RTW 07/08

The "insert" in your picture is a 'seat', not a cuting insert, it's there to distribute load over a large area. The cutting insert would fit on top and be tightened by rotating the center screw.

The "insert" in your picture is a 'seat', not a cuting insert, it's there to distribute load over a large area. The cutting insert would fit on top and be tightened by rotating the center screw.
Hmmmm, the center screw tightens that silver triangular piece down tight. The top edge is very sharp while the bottom of it has a slight relief as indicated by my “CAD drawing”.o_O

Thats definitely an anvil and not an insert. Think they're made of carbide to be stiff and spread the load as said.

Greg

so what insert might fit this or is it not worth messing with?

Insert would start with a "T" for triangle. You can measure the size of the circle that can be inscribed (gives the insert size) and also the thickness of insert that would fit. The insert pocket appears canted downward indicating a neutral or negative rake insert. My guess would be a TNMG.

The carbide piece in there is definitely a shim/seat/anvil. It is used to support the insert (for heavy cutting) and offer a replaceable segment to the toolholder should the insert crack and damage the holder.

Back