Stanley Moving Production of Craftsman Wrenches Back to the US From China

Is this partially due to tariffs?
I have seen more choices lately when shopping for hardware or plumbing, tools etc.
There was a time not so long ago when USA products were not one of my choices.
Last month I needed a garden faucet.
Brass valve, made in China $12.79 , Made in USA, $17.**
I bought the USA valve.

Just guessing but Texas is business friendly? Maybe Ft.Worth offered low property tax. Low cost of Electricity. Lots of factors I'm sure.
Look at craigslist, TX in general seemingly has more machine and sheetmetal tools than formerly giant industrial environs. That indicates an invested skilled labor pool. Most job shop employees like doing the same stuff at home; somewhat higher percentage than those in captive shops. Part of it hinges in their personal tool collections, which typically expand.
Then check Beverly Hills or Sausalito for a Lincoln Idealarc, a Pacemaker lathe, or anything Kearney & Trecker. . .IYKWIM

I read "Modern Machine Shop" avidly in the 80's and 90's. They reacted to NAFTA and offshoring in general, itemizing a list of predictions that they felt certain to occur, especially regarding China/ Asia, not Japan. Every single issue materialized; counterfeiting, inadequate/ substitute materials, poor or false QA documentation, copyright infringement, markets flooded with knock-off products, poor warranty service, poorly stocked repair parts, communication problems, how their workers would eventually unionize and that reflection in pricing. . .the list was amazing long. Including our eventual disgust with substandard products. But what a heyday for 'tool insurance' warranty protection.
So, top names see their brands diminish at the cost of profit, and insignificant stock market positions. No matter how cheaply you can produce, that is secondary to what is hard to sell.
It really does not matter if something appears expensive, true measure is getting what you pay for.

Back