Starlink

Grinderman

Registered
Registered
Anyone out there have Starlink internet yet? I just sent in my deposit.

I have a friend at work that does.
Us rural folks were at a disadvantage for choices, he now says it's great.
He gets speeds like never before and only a few seconds of outage a day.

He said he saw online where others are doing automated speed-tests every minute of the day and graphing them.
Since it is unlimited it's zero extra cost.

He also said it should get better, both coverage and through-put when the satellite constellation is more complete.

-brino

I haven't seen too many negative things said about it so far. My service is poor, only getting 1.5mbps(not a typo) so really looking forward to getting the dish. It's suppose to be far superior to the satellite systems out there now because the satellites are closer to earth and there's going to be thousands of them. The astronomers aren't happy though.

I've put in a Starlink deposit. Was really a shock to move from cable internet to Hughesnet satellite when we moved to Indiana. I think I was better off with my first ISDN line into the office back in the early 90's. Only time I can watch any videos (including youtube) is between 2am and 8am "off peak" hours.

I'm watching this close as I'd love to get off the cable. I hope other users respond.

Wired will always be a better experience overall. It's just physics. As much as I hate Comcast, no wireless can touch them there. That said, the other systems can certainly be "good enough". Particularly for our friends in more rural areas.

I think what really attracted me to starlink was the ease of installation and of course the speeds. Everything comes in the box. Find a good spot for the dish, run the cable and plug it in. It aims itself and even melts the snow off in winter. Kudos to SpaceX
The options where I live are few and I found myself using my phone hotspot a lot if I wanted to watch videos, so anything above those speeds will be wonderful.

I know I will be looking into it, and then Verizon can kiss my *!*. Mike

Wired will always be a better experience overall. It's just physics. As much as I hate Comcast, no wireless can touch them there. That said, the other systems can certainly be "good enough". Particularly for our friends in more rural areas.
I guess it’s all where you are as we constantly have sped probs with Comcast. Sometimes it’s like dialup I swear.

I guess it’s all where you are as we constantly have sped probs with Comcast. Sometimes it’s like dialup I swear.

Ah, yeah, if they are that bad I can see being irritated. I pay for and get 1gb down. Up is something stupid like 45mb, but whatever. It's as good as I can get here. And it is what they told me to expect.

Even now, what starlink achieves is pretty darn cool. Hopefully more competition helps push everyone to do better.

Back