Starret micrometer assembly problem

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Registered
I have these Starret micrometers,one of wich was not callibrated and I wanted to fix that and then eventually stripped it completely because it was also a bit tight. Now I don't know how to get this little spring back in it's place. I have never stripped a Starret before so I am in the dark. Can someone please help me put this back together again, because I don't know how to compress this spring again so it will stay in place for me to put the outer shell over the body again.
20201019_130722.jpg
If better pics are needed, I will take some tomorrow. Is there some method of doing this? Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you
Michael

I'm not on expert, but here's how I would approach it.
Unless you have a helper, first thing is to secure the Thimble (knurled part) in a vise. DON'T deform it. The ideal way is to bore a piece of plastic to the OD size then slit the plastic along the hole axis, creating a soft collet.
Next, place the spring over the barrel (bit with the numbers on it).
With the spring's tail pressed into the slot, place the barrel/ spring into the thimble.
Keep rotating the barrel/spring, while pinching the spring between thumb and forefinger and in the groove, while advancing both into the thimble.
The rotation and pressure on the OD of the spring coils will "wrap" the coils around the barrel, reducing their OD enough to enter the thimble ID.
Continue until the spring/groove is completely covered by the thimble.
Then just slide the barrel home.

The ideal way is to bore a piece of plastic to the OD size then slit the plastic along the hole axis, creating a soft collet.
By this I gather you mean the OD of the thimble, and to place the plastic over the thimble to not damage it?

Keep rotating the barrel/spring, while pinching the spring between thumb and forefinger
Houston, I have a problem........,short coming,........something missing,.......call it what you want.
1603180896539-1633498226.jpg

:laughing:
But I guess I'll work something out in that department. Thank you extropic. I will give it a go tomorrow,because since yesterday afternoon I have a muscle spasm in my lower back and can hardly walk,so I am not working today. Luckily I work from home and I know the boss.....

Thanks
Michael

LOL. Missing the first joint on your index finer is not a condition that I anticipated. Regardless, it looks long healed and I'm sure you have adapted very well.

Take care of that back (and the rest of those fingers).

Let us know how the micrometer turns out.

Thank you. I will do so. Yes the finger is healed,but the memory of how it was lost is not forgotten. I have the rest of the hand,hip,pelvis, knee and leg to go as a set to remind me of a motorcycle accident back in 09'. But I am not complaining now,it's just some useless information for you. I am a lucky guy.

Thank you for your advice.

So how does that spring work? Does the little bent end hook onto, or click someplace in there?

I do feel for you. I have the bits for two of the set of T-Gauges in a packet. I have the advantage of still having all my fingers, and still I can't get it back together. A spring went "ping", and was found after a detailed search. I compounded the mistake by disassembling next size up, to use as a reference. I just ended up with two in pieces, and the effort to find a way to put them together competes with the price of a new (cheapo eBay) set.

20200115-T-Gauge6.png

Unless you have a helper, first thing is to secure the Thimble (knurled part) in a vise. DON'T deform it. The ideal way is to bore a piece of plastic to the OD size then slit the plastic along the hole axis, creating a soft collet.
With the spring's tail pressed into the slot, place the barrel/ spring into the thimble.
Keep rotating the barrel/spring, while pinching the spring between thumb and forefinger and in the groove, while advancing both into the thimble.
The rotation and pressure on the OD of the spring coils will "wrap" the coils around the barrel, reducing their OD enough to enter the thimble ID.
I want to get back to you on how this method of yours worked out, but I have a lot of work coming in and will not be able to get to that soon,but as soon as I can, I will get back to you.

I am going to start by having a laugh.
:laughing:
Here is why. I see it has been a whole year since I asked for help and only got around to do it now.
I tried what @extropic said,but I made the plastic bush too thin so it didn't work. I then tried doing everything by hand and it is a year later,but I got lucky. I know one thing......not taking off the thimble off again.

Now I have to sort out the the problem why I have stripped it in the first place. It is turning very tightly and I figured out it is the threaded part in the collet that is slightly damaged. So I must sorce a M10×0.5 tap somewhere,well it looks like that is the size, to see if I can open it up a bit. Thanks for the advice @extropic.

So how does that spring work? Does the little bent end hook onto, or click someplace in there?
Yes,there is a small slit it hook onto,but just. Sorry for only answering just now @graham-xrf.

-Michael-

Back