Starrett # 196 Gauge Needs Repair

road

Active User
Registered
Hey all , As the tittle says I have a Starrett model 196 that needs repair .

the dial needle will not return to zero.
anyone know or have a approx idea how much Starrett charges for this ?

Maybe you should put up a picture or say what a 196 is so people don't have to look it up. If you make it easier people may be more inclined to try and help.

When you say it doesn't return to zero, do you mean it doesn't return to where it started, or it is sticky and the resting point varies?

The reason I ask, is that you can turn the dial and make zero anywhere you like!

It may just need cleaning and a small amount of very light oil on the moving parts.

Now that I looked it up its a Dti. Some more information would be helpfull. Is the plunger staying in one place or is it still working and the dial not moving. Iv had trouble with extreme cold causing oil and dirt in mine to thicken up and make it stick. Once it warmed up it was fine. I had one I was able to open up and clean with some carb cleaner and it worked again. Most of the time I've found it's a bad idea to open these things up. You could try looking at the website for Long Island indicator. They had some information about fixing some tools I'm not sure about Dtis though. If you need it to be very accurate send it to starret to be repaired. I don't use any gauge I have repaired for accurate work. It was 70$ to fix a different type of indicator a few years back so it may not be cost effective.

These things are pretty simple, if delicate, mechanisms.

They work using a spiral(think a very coarse thread), gears, bearings and springs.

Cleaning and lubricating cannot change the accuracy in any way, except possible to make it better by eliminating stick-slip of internal parts.

Yes it is a dti, a back button type. the needle does not consistently return to where ever Zero is set or the "12 o'clock " point.
It is a very old gauge. I paid $20 for the Mercer kit # 107A that it came with. The gentleman said it was his grandfathers who was a tool & die maker. Actually my friend and I purchased a lot of his items. some really well made tooling / tooling , a set of mitutoyo inside gauges for $20. a hand made a palmgren type vise even a nice tool chest for $5 etc... all the items were well cared for.
This dti is a bit sticky...
feels like there maybe some old grease in it..
So.. I wanted to know if any one had an idea on the repair prices the Starrett charges if they are reasonable I may get the crystal changed too.

001.JPG 003.JPG 002.JPG

You could try and put a drop of light oil on the plunger right where it goes into the body of the indicator. As far as getting it repaired, IMHO, I think it would be cheaper to just start over and get another one…Good Luck, Dave.

Long Island Indicator Repair on Long Island, NY, has a great rep

Bernie

Bernie

Thanks Bernie, how ya been ?
I read that L - I repair has had issues with getting Starrett parts or good parts from them .. maybe a falling out ? ?
Thats why I asked about Starrett ...

Things are good man!
Looks like you may do better to have fun taking it apart, and see if you get lucky, and if not, keep your eyes on Ebay .. Those 196's come up pretty regularly, if not frequently.

I do the 196 though! I use it all the time

Bernie

Back