Starrett has fallen (a bit) from grace

harrzack

Harrzack
Registered
I think today's Starrett stuff is not "your fathers's" Starrett. They are making a lot of stuff in China now (there IS good stuff coming from China, BTW). I have a B&S dial test indicator and would take it hands down over the venerable "Last Word" from Starrett

Wait a minute now. Most B&S dial test indicators are Swiss-made and would have been better than a Last Word made at any time in Starrett's history. I have Compac dial test indicators that I would take over ANY B&S dial test indicator - accurate, beefier bearings and tougher overall. If you're going to bash Starrett then at least do it fairly, like comparing a modern Starrett dial indicator to the one from Shars you linked to today.

Starrett's Last Word is likely the weakest product they have made. I don't know squat about the insides of test indicators, but there must be a design glitch. Every Last Word I have layed hands on, maybe a half dozen or so, has been awkward with less than good feel in how fast and repeatable the needle goes back to zero. Anything from Switzerland is likely better as are the instruments from Germany. 312-b is my workhorse test indicator, but I also have other Euro indicators, they are certainly worlds better than the Last Words I have seen.

Wait a minute now. Most B&S dial test indicators are Swiss-made and would have been better than a Last Word made at any time in Starrett's history. I have Compac dial test indicators that I would take over ANY B&S dial test indicator - accurate, beefier bearings and tougher overall. If you're going to bash Starrett then at least do it fairly, like comparing a modern Starrett dial indicator to the one from Shars you linked to today.

I really was NOT trying to 'bash" Starrett - they are a old and well respected company. But like so many today, they are falling prey to the low cost of imported product.

I got my B&S DTI on feeBay at a good price - doubt I could afford/justify something as nice as a Compac...

Starrett's Last Word is likely the weakest product they have made. I don't know squat about the insides of test indicators, but there must be a design glitch. Every Last Word I have layed hands on, maybe a half dozen or so, has been awkward with less than good feel in how fast and repeatable the needle goes back to zero. Anything from Switzerland is likely better as are the instruments from Germany. 312-b is my workhorse test indicator, but I also have other Euro indicators, they are certainly worlds better than the Last Words I have seen.

The problem with Last Word indicators is that they become magnetized. You'll see this as a sticking or jerkiness of the needle. These things were popular before European devices became more prevalent and well before eBay came around. I own one and it actually is quite accurate, although mine actually works the way it should. I don't use it much anymore because I have better indicators now but when it was my only one, it worked very well for me and I would trust it before I trusted a Chinese indicator.

I really was NOT trying to 'bash" Starrett - they are a old and well respected company. But like so many today, they are falling prey to the low cost of imported product.

I got my B&S DTI on feeBay at a good price - doubt I could afford/justify something as nice as a Compac...

What Starrett is doing is trying to survive. They have to compete with cheap Chinese and Indian stuff and they just cannot do it if they make everything themselves. This is just the reality of a global economy and Starrett is only one of many companies that are dealing with this. They still do make many of their own tools in the US and those tools are still as finely made as ever - the simple 827A edge finder is a superb tool that is one of many they still produce.

I am not a Starrett fan boy, believe it or not. I am a fan of fine tools and Starrett made many of them and still do but reality is reality. Mitutoyo has their calipers made in Brazil instead of Japan. Tesa has a lower grade of micrometers made in France. B&S Valueline is made who knows where (country of origin subject to change). Starrett is not alone, not by a long shot.

It will never change , people are so badly treated by the taxes and insurances of both federal and state . Cost to pay for all the thievery that goes on by every part of state contracts. Payments as kick backs to the representatives of congress and state government leaders. It's a wonder starrett tools is still making tools here . They have got to be greasing the right people's pockets. We all know it goes on , we just don't know how to fix it.

The Last Word is an ancient design (spiral jewel instead of sector gear), not at all protected from swarf, and a bit delicate.

I've got one and it works fine, but I recognize its limitations and don't abuse it. If I was working in a production shop full time, I'd only break it out if the small size was required.

Back