Starrett micrometer fix

I had the same problem with mine. I sent it to Precision Instrument Correction.

They fixed it and calibrated it.
What was the cost?

Thanks for all the advise.
The spring 10058-0 is for help keeping the outer numbered sleeve from rotating.
My micrometer was finally freed. I used a piece of leather and a vise grip to get a little rotation and then back and forth. The vise grip was slipping until tightened just right. I kept the clutch screw in place in case the barrel crushed. It has a rust or lacquered ring where the locking ring was. I removed the rust or lacquered ring with a plastic Scotch pad that used for dishes. Almost all was removed. I lost the spring and possible spacer between the number sleeve and locking nut.

Just to report there is no spacer. The outer sleeve is held by just the spring. I just made re-purposed the self grounding connector from an old light switch. It works. Zero repeatability test show 0.000 less than +/- 0.001"

I found what I thought was a great deal on a little used Starrett T230RL 1" micrometer. It had some old gunk on it, so I thought that was why the spindle was sticky when turned. I took the spindle out, cleaned and degreased everything, and it is still so tight I can't use the ratchet.

Upon looking at it, it appears the spindle lock mechanism isn't retracting enough and is dragging on the spindle. It will turn to a stop and lock the spindle, but it will spin all the way around the other way and release a bit, but not enough for the mic to spin freely. I found a bit of info on line, and several mentioned that, when the thing is apart, DON'T turn the spindle lock. I'm sure I did when cleaning it. Nothing I can find mentioned how to fix this issue.

It may be related, but it's off zero by about .0005, and I tried to rotate the barrel with the spanner, and it won't budge. Thanks for any advice!
have a 224 n which does not ratchet, rendering it useless, spindle is free, any ideas please

I found what I thought was a great deal on a little used Starrett T230RL 1" micrometer. It had some old gunk on it, so I thought that was why the spindle was sticky when turned. I took the spindle out, cleaned and degreased everything, and it is still so tight I can't use the ratchet.

Upon looking at it, it appears the spindle lock mechanism isn't retracting enough and is dragging on the spindle. It will turn to a stop and lock the spindle, but it will spin all the way around the other way and release a bit, but not enough for the mic to spin freely. I found a bit of info on line, and several mentioned that, when the thing is apart, DON'T turn the spindle lock. I'm sure I did when cleaning it. Nothing I can find mentioned how to fix this issue.

It may be related, but it's off zero by about .0005, and I tried to rotate the barrel with the spanner, and it won't budge. Thanks for any advice!
have a 242 in mic. staratt, excelent cond. but will not ratchet, anf ideas would be very welcome, ive taken the screw out from the knurled thumb piece and tipped wd40 in, no difference

mine is in excellent cond.trouble is, it'll not ratchet and the spring is missing,I have made an enquiry thru U.K anyone know of a supplier of parts? thanks

Attachments

• 20200123_080152.jpg
    20200123_080152.jpg
    668.7 KB · Views: 7
My original answer disappeared.
https://www.starrett.com/spare-part...=list-condensed&itemsPerPage=24&sortBy=wp/asc for Starrett USA for parts or Amazon.com Starrett can get the part number for your micrometer 242. phone (978) 249-3551 https://www.starrett.com/about/contact-us

Go on a free site or ebay to get part number of the ratchet and then look for other micrometer models that uses the same ratchet. I suspect that Starrett uses are only a few different ratchets (most use the same one $12).

Find a bent caliper from a garage sale for near free to ebay for a few dollars. My free micrometer was perfect except the spindle didn't rotate at all. I cut out a spring from a broken self grounding electrical outlet, then bent it to fit. You might get the spring and ratchet for near free.

Last edited:
My original answer disappeared.
https://www.starrett.com/spare-part...=list-condensed&itemsPerPage=24&sortBy=wp/asc for Starrett USA for parts or Amazon.com Starrett can get the part number for your micrometer 242. phone (978) 249-3551 https://www.starrett.com/about/contact-us

Go on a free site or ebay to get part number of the ratchet and then look for other micrometer models that uses the same ratchet. I suspect that Starrett uses are only a few different ratchets (most use the same one $12).

Find a bent caliper from a garage sale for near free to ebay for a few dollars. My free micrometer was perfect except the spindle didn't rotate at all. I cut out a spring from a broken self grounding electrical outlet, then bent it to fit. You might get the spring and ratchet for near free.
thanks, whole ratcheting assy was 12 usa, they are sending it for free1580676221714.png

Back