Starrett Micrometer Too Tight to Ratchet

I just received a used metric (25-50mm) Starrett mike today that I bought on eBay. It is about 5-10 years old.

It arrived VERY stiff. I was alarmed & I was afraid that I would have to send it back. I fixed it in just a few minutes just like I did with the mike in the OP.

Just unscrew it all the way out (if it were any stiffer, I would have had to use a tool), flush it with WD-40, blow out the spindle bore, shake off the WD-40, and put it back together. Seems to work like new. The difference is like night and day.

Thanks again for the WD-40 tip. Seems like the magic bullet.

When I get some money, I will buy some Starrett micrometer oil.

Do not be surprised when you find your mic all bound up with varnish-like deposits from that WD-40. If you thought it was stiff when you got it, wait until that WD-40 hardens over time.

Not to worry, though. Acetone will get it off.

Do not be surprised when you find your mic all bound up with varnish-like deposits from that WD-40. If you thought it was stiff when you got it, wait until that WD-40 hardens over time.

Not to worry, though. Acetone will get it off.
Good point, Mike. I was thinking of just breaking it loose. Follow up with acetone or even alcohol is a good idea. THEN, a dab of appropriate light oil.

Tom

For 35 years i have used singer sewing machine oil on my starrett mic's and have never had a problem. Just use sparingly!

Back