Starrett no 215

daveyscrap

Active User
Registered
Anyone ever see or have a starrett no 215 Half inch micrometer ? I can't find much on the web ! Kind of a cool little mic I will try to post a pic. Thanks Dave

OK sorry I must have lost the ability to add pics. Says you can't do it from Tapatalk and don't see a option on web to add one

I have a 0.0000 - 0.5000 Starrett ball mic, but I don't recall the model number. Handy for some things, like measuring wall thickness of tubing, or even hole-to-edge dimensions.

Don't tell me you found it at the pawn shop down on First Ave!!! I was just in there last week and did not see what you describe.

On the other hand, with each year that goes by, the list of things that I fail to see grows ever longer! :rofl:

Tony this one is a regular mic that only goes to half. Kind of a tiny little thing. I have never seen one and only one I can find a picture of is a metric version. On the bay. Wish I could post a picture. Thanks. Dave

No such luck it was in a box of treasures off the bay I have found a few deals in that pawn shop though I think they recognize me and just grab the keys for the glass. They just unlock it and walk away not sure if that's good or bad!

New guy here. I was sorting through some tools I got from my dad in the process of getting my shop reorganized to accommodate the Clausing 8520 mill I just added to the clutter... I mean tool arsenal. Anyway, I happened on this little Starrett 215 and a web search for some info on the tool landed me on this (admittedly old) thread. Thought I'd contribute a photo of the little gem. He also had a couple of Millers Falls mics... a 0" - 1" and a 1" - 2". Included with one of those was a slip of paper explaining why those tools lacked spindle locks and ratchets - they were deleted to streamline production as part of their "Victory effort" - dating those to sometime during WWII. I assume this little Starrett is from the same era, though it has both of those refinements. It has a little surface rust and staining from a period of less than ideal storage conditions but still works great.
IMG_3015.jpg

New guy here. I was sorting through some tools I got from my dad in the process of getting my shop reorganized to accommodate the Clausing 8520 mill I just added to the clutter... I mean tool arsenal. Anyway, I happened on this little Starrett 215 and a web search for some info on the tool landed me on this (admittedly old) thread. Thought I'd contribute a photo of the little gem. He also had a couple of Millers Falls mics... a 0" - 1" and a 1" - 2". Included with one of those was a slip of paper explaining why those tools lacked spindle locks and ratchets - they were deleted to streamline production as part of their "Victory effort" - dating those to sometime during WWII. I assume this little Starrett is from the same era, though it has both of those refinements. It has a little surface rust and staining from a period of less than ideal storage conditions but still works great.
View attachment 233784

Very nice looking! Mine has a few rust pits and was a little rough turning But it came in a box of stuff for cheap so I am not complaining . It's kind of fun to use!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have had one for forty plus years, New in the box . Dont know if it's number 215 but it's satin chrome and purty .

I have a 0.0000 - 0.5000 Starrett ball mic, but I don't recall the model number. Handy for some things, like measuring wall thickness of tubing, or even hole-to-edge dimensions.

Brown and Sharpe also made a .500 ball anvil mic: the Model 225, which I found listed in one of their old catalogs specifically for measuring wall thickness on tubing. Here's mine next to my one
inch Weyersberg, for scale. Kind of cute.

Back