[4]

Starrett purchase of the day

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

jbobb1

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Nice find!

francist

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I never thought that a square would be calibrated on a regular basis. Is that typical?

-frank

mikey

Active User
Starrett made these things in two versions, one where the body and other attachments were hardened and the other wasn't. The hardened one had a smooth glossy finish and the soft one had a crinkle finish. I think your is the hardened version, Dan. If it is, that's the good one! Both used a hardened and tempered blade.

DiscoDan

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Starrett made these things in two versions, one where the body and other attachments were hardened and the other wasn't. The hardened one had a smooth glossy finish and the soft one had a crinkle finish. I think your is the hardened version, Dan. If it is, that's the good one! Both used a hardened and tempered blade.
It says Hardened on the rule. Re-reading the calibration sticker again, they were DUE to be calibated in 2017. They were last calibrated on 4/30/2014. They were calibrated by AAI.

jbobb1

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
I never thought that a square would be calibrated on a regular basis. Is that typical?

-frank
If you work at a ISO certified shop, I believe it's a requirement.

mmcmdl

Staff member
Whats the employee number on it ? It may be mine ! I was 11913 . :) I was there for 15 years . All tools used at AAI were calibrated every 6 months , whether you used them or not . If it was in your box , it was calibrated . I'll bet that came from Parkville Md . Possibly Joe H . who retired around that time ! :grin:

FWIW...…………...inspection hated when it was my time to get my tools calibrated . They actually made me take a lot of them home . Tool hoarder ? Nahhhhhh………...

Last edited:

DiscoDan

Mmcmdl, I am out eating BBQ but will check when I get home. I believe there was a name on the ruler.

mmcmdl

Staff member
Let me know . I garrentee I'm a friend of him ! :grin: Should be a name on the shipping box also . If you or anyone else need any tools such as these , give me a holler . All mine are ready to go . I haven't had the time to post them on here or the bay yet because of grass duty . I'll bet I have 20 or so combination squares left + 2 basements , the garage and numerous buckets full . I did off 530 pounds of scrap material down at Owl Metals this morning , so making small steps as time permits .

mmcmdl

Staff member
Good friend . Worked in Unmanned Aircraft Systems , he must have retired as most of my co-workers there have .

mmcmdl

Staff member
Those tags used to be green in color , I still have a boat load of stuff with the certs on them . Textron most likely changed the tags when they bought them out from United Industrial Corp .

DiscoDan

It is hard to read but under the AAI is says Textron.

mmcmdl

Staff member
Yep , so they changed the tags . AAI when I was there calibrated every 6 months . Textron could have changed the time because they are limited people wise as we all are . :grin:

DiscoDan

3 years according to the tags

Firstram

Registered
I bought a Starrett square set in 1990 (smooth paint) and by 2008 the combo square wasn't square anymore. I was using it for carpentry.

mmcmdl

Staff member
Carpentry I use solid squares . And I may just have to break some out real soon as the projects are mounting ! :big grin:

[5] [7]