Starrett purchase of the day

DiscoDan

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I was at something called The Real Man's Yard Sale and picked up this Starrett combination square. In nice shape and actually has 2017 calibration stickers on it. Only $68. Bargain.

Attachments

• 20190504_140620.jpg
    20190504_140620.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 18
Nice find!

I never thought that a square would be calibrated on a regular basis. Is that typical?

-frank

Starrett made these things in two versions, one where the body and other attachments were hardened and the other wasn't. The hardened one had a smooth glossy finish and the soft one had a crinkle finish. I think your is the hardened version, Dan. If it is, that's the good one! Both used a hardened and tempered blade.

Starrett made these things in two versions, one where the body and other attachments were hardened and the other wasn't. The hardened one had a smooth glossy finish and the soft one had a crinkle finish. I think your is the hardened version, Dan. If it is, that's the good one! Both used a hardened and tempered blade.

It says Hardened on the rule. Re-reading the calibration sticker again, they were DUE to be calibated in 2017. They were last calibrated on 4/30/2014. They were calibrated by AAI.

I never thought that a square would be calibrated on a regular basis. Is that typical?

-frank

If you work at a ISO certified shop, I believe it's a requirement.

Whats the employee number on it ? It may be mine ! I was 11913 . :) I was there for 15 years . All tools used at AAI were calibrated every 6 months , whether you used them or not . If it was in your box , it was calibrated . I'll bet that came from Parkville Md . Possibly Joe H . who retired around that time ! :grin:

FWIW...…………...inspection hated when it was my time to get my tools calibrated . They actually made me take a lot of them home . Tool hoarder ? Nahhhhhh………...

Last edited:
Mmcmdl, I am out eating BBQ but will check when I get home. I believe there was a name on the ruler.

Let me know . I garrentee I'm a friend of him ! :grin: Should be a name on the shipping box also . If you or anyone else need any tools such as these , give me a holler . All mine are ready to go . I haven't had the time to post them on here or the bay yet because of grass duty . I'll bet I have 20 or so combination squares left + 2 basements , the garage and numerous buckets full . I did off 530 pounds of scrap material down at Owl Metals this morning , so making small steps as time permits .

How about John P. White??

Attachments

• 1557019991081843431980.jpg
    1557019991081843431980.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 8
Back