Starrett quality

JPigg55

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Looking to buy a set of digital calipers.
While researching reviews, I came across a couple that likened new Starrett calipers to ones from HF.
One I found on eBay had a picture of the label that said "Assembled in the USA". This speaks of parts being produced overseas.
In short, I'm looking for information/opinions as to the quality of new Starrett measuring tools.

I can't speak for the quality of the Starretts as I ended up buying Mitutoyo calipers and micrometer. The Mits are top notch quality wise at a comparable price to the Starrett and much of what I read online said that the battery life was significantly longer with the Mits.

-Ron

Personally, I really dislike starrett, just doesn't feel right, and I especially don't like their last word indicator. I have been in aerospace machining for many, many years, and one company, Garrett turbine engine company/ Airesearch, sold them exclusively in their store, but that was back in 1978. I think the quality was better back then compared to now. However, for the hobby machinist, they may work for you. I tend to prefer brown and sharpe as well as mitutoyo.

IMHO the new Starrett Tools will not make the grade as their older (pre-overseas) ones did. This is not to say they are not good. The best bang for the buck today is Mitutoyo. Again, my opinion.

"Billy G"

I just got a Starrett dial caliber and the quality is just not there. Ditto a mike I got a while ago. I have some Starrett tools that are over 30 years old and the new one don't measure up. I guess it's just the way the world us going. I heard today the China is now making printing presses. I bet there fun to run.
DonN

From what I've seen in person and heard from tooling dealers, I'd go with the Mit. Some of the Starrett tools are now imported and they don't tell you which is which. Sad to see one of the greatest American brands in decline - it used to be such a thrill to open the red box and find a perfect tool.
Michael

You have to be careful with any toolmaker today. Even Mitutoyo has some lower quality products. Two months ago I ordered a new Mitutoyo 6" dial caliper model 505-712 because it's one of the few models still made in Japan. Other lower priced models they have like the one's with colored faces are Made in Brazil. I do not like the plastic "frame" Mitutoyo went too as I liked the metal frame and thumb roll better on my old one's.
I gave up on Starrett seventeen years ago when I spent over $250 on their top of the line combination square set. Very nice square set at first I thought, until the day I noticed the left and right zero's on the protractor head did not line up with each other.
I have been doing this for over thirty years and I have very few Starrett tools. Most of my tools are Brown & Sharpe followed by Mitutoyo.

Tom

Personally, Starrett are some of my favorite tools(surpassed only by Lufkin, and that's only because Lufkin Combination square heads are green-my favorite color!).

All of my Starrett tools are older ones though, from ebay auctions and antique stores.

I bought a new starett height gauge and the zeroing button didn't work right out of the box. I bought it on Amazon but when it didn't work I called Starett. They said send it to them rather than sending it back to Amazon and they would fix it for free. When I got it back it was a new one and it worked. I had bought a new caliper and was really disappointed with quality compared with my old one (made in USA). The face on the dial looked very cheap, the accuracy was ok though. I won't be buying anything else that Starett unless it something older and made in the US..

Back