[Metrology] Starrett Speed Indicator Problem

T. J.

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a problem with my Starrett speed indicator. When attempting to measure RPMs, the screw head in the center turns at a constant rate but the dial starts and stops erratically. I haven't taken the time to take it apart and see what's inside, but I suspect there's a gear stripped or something. Can anyone tell me if this is fixable/worth fixing or is it junk? I gave $3 for it on Ebay, so its not a big loss if it is junk.

Thanks,
T. J.

Maybe take the time to tighten the screw that holds the dial in place.

Since my first post, I have had the time to investigate the problem further. I have verified that the dial is indeed slipping rather than a gear being stripped. Tightening the screw as tight as it will go hasn't helped. There is a 'bent' brass washer under the dial that I seems to function to increase friction between the dial and the spindle. Increasing the bend hasn't helped either. At this point I'm thinking of trying a rubber washer.

Look to see why the dial is dragging so badly. It must be able to slip so you can reset the dial for a new reading. Maybe polish the back side. Does it slip at the same position every turn of the dial? Sometimes the simplest things are the hardest to diagnose.

Are you talking about revolution counter? If so I have 2 that have been unused for going on 60 years, most people have no idea what they are.
I will send you one for the cost of shipping, one is Starrett and one may be Brown & Sharp and both in excellent working order, they both belonged to my Grandfather.

Wow. Thanks, Wreck. I'm sending you a PM

I will dig them out of the tool box on Friday and send the one found first. Do you actually use such a device or are you an antique tool collector?

In 25 years working in machine shops full time I have yet to see anyone use one of those things, ever.

As an added bonus will include one of the most useless tools that I have ever had, use at your own risk.

If you looked at my shop you might think I collected antique tools/junk:congratulate:, but I actually plan on using it. I have had a few occasions in the past where I have needed one (not usually for shop projects). I have borrowed a nice digital tachometer in those instances, but those are too pricey for me to justify purchasing one for infrequent use. My immediate need is for mounting a variable speed treadmill motor to my drill press. I need to find the lowest motor speed that gives adequate torque, so I can then determine the pulley sizes that will give me the range of speeds that I want.

This one that I dug out today was made by Goodell & Pratt, the serrated thumb screw on the dial loosens the bezel for setting it to zero. If you want it I will mail it early next week. As I recall the Starrett one relies on a spring washer to hold tension on the bezel.
rev%20counter%202_zpsjzyqcpae.jpg

Also found this beauty in the bottom of the toolbox which also belonged to my Grandfather, a 5" Starrett precision vernier caliper in mint condition, my Grandfather engraved his name on nearly every tool that he owned so this probably ruins it as a collectors item, I have had it since his death in 1980 and have used it to measure a gauge pin once to check it's accuracy which is very good. The markings are so small it is nearly unusable without magnifying glasses.
vernier%20caliper_zps5tojmbhy.jpg

Last edited:
That suits me perfectly. Let me know what I owe you. Thanks!

Back