Starrett telescoping gage repair?

Just as a matter of interest, I bought a "used" set of Yuasa telescoping gages on ebay a few weeks ago for less than $40.00, shipped. When I got them, they were brand new except for some smudges on the plastic storage case. I compared them to my Mitutoyo telescoping gages and they are identical. Every nuance of each gage is exactly the same, including the feel of the spring and that nice feel when you tighten a Mit gage. Other than the color, even the case and the printing is exactly the same.

So, Yuasa and Mit gages are probably made by the same factory and branded appropriately. Just a heads up when searching for these things.

Thanks for all the replies! I didn't even think to look for a website, since it's usually lost time these days to look for parts. Their site is pretty impressive though!
All things considered I think I will wait and try to score a buy on a replacement gage. (On removing the handle from the gage, there is a little plunger & sleeve in there that has gotten kind of mushroomed..) Thanks again!
Wes

Be careful not to over tighten the screw that locks the plunger. It will ruin the gage, making it rough and sticky from the over tightening. Only use enough tension to hold the plunger from slipping. I have bought a couple used ones that way. Sometimes the defect is very slight and it can be fixed by sliding the plunger in and out MANY times under light lock screw pressure to work the surfaces back to smooth. Keep the telescope gages lubricated well enough that they will not get rust inside them, which will also ruin them. They need to work silky smooth...

I agree, call Starrett or email. They've been very kind and helpful over the years.
One Christmas, Starrett sent me a new set of tool makers buttons, free, after I inquired about them.
I've also gotten a few small parts, some free of charge.
Sometimes it takes them two weeks or so to get back to you. but they always do.

The Starrett telescoping gages are the best I've seen., but you must be careful and not strip the fine threads. Parts are available, but it may be cheaper to buy
the individual gage. I keep my sets lubricated with Starrett M1 or SuperLube. I bought my Starrett set for $60 in brand new condition., Ebay.

A question I have regarding the concensus the US is the predominate user of the telescoping gauge; What does the rest of the world do for I.D. measurements?

I know the Chinese don't use them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Bore mic gages, like the Etalons or Mitutoyo are one of the best ways to measure a bore.
The Etalon InGage bore mics look very good but expensive.

Last edited:
A question I have regarding the concensus the US is the predominate user of the telescoping gauge; What does the rest of the world do for I.D. measurements?

They use ID mics. Bore mics too but they are expensive & the average hobbyist don't own them. Funny cause I do have an ID mic but I never use it, I just use the snap gages.

For anything over 1 1/2" I prefer to use a bore mic.

Back