Starting a new shop building

Update:
Found out that on the 6th, after being at my place on the 5th, my insulation guy got tested for Covid, tested positive, and at some point ended up in the hospital. We work for the same department and I found out he is better.

Things will get done when they get done.

Any progress on the new shop?
How's it going with your insulation guy?

One of my friends just had an uncle die while he was on a ventilator. Diabetic with kidney problems sealed the deal.

Well, time for a happy update. Insulation is done!

My insulation guy is also a Firefighter with my department. We talked, and although he is better, he is not well. He is not back to work yet, in fact he is doing physical therapy to try to get to where he can work. Apparently the COVID had some really bad effects on him, joints hurting, fatigue etc. We made arrangements for him to supervise, while I ran the sprayer. Today was the day.

By lunch we got started, air temps were in the right range. Basically he sat in a chair and pointed, and gave instructions and advice. It took a while but myself and my youngest son (21 and home from college) got it sprayed. Just in time too, looks like the weather tomorrow takes a nasty turn and will be wet and cold all weekend.

I am sore, and tired, and very happy I'm back in the shop building process. Next up will be interior walls, after clean up of course.

That's great news, about the insulation. I (we?) hope your colleague achieves a 100% recovery soon.

Glad to hear that you finally got the insulation in. You are a good man waiting, I know it wasn't his fault, but most, and I am probably in the same category, would have sought out a new contractor. But there is something special about front line responders, like men on the battlefield.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Everyone likes pics, so here you go:

20201229_152817.jpg

That's my son spraying. At this point we were about 1/2 done, maybe a bit more. We finished after dark last night, so no completed pics yet.

I will say now, and try to say each time I show the pics on the build thread, that I hope no one judges whether or not to do spray foam based on the appearance of this job. It admittedly doesn't look like a pro job, because it wasn't done by a pro. Remember this was done by me and my son because the guy that was to do it caught the virus and couldn't physically do it. It looks ok to me, my shop is going to be a working hobby shop not a showroom. I just want everyone to understand that a pro would make it look more uniform and would have a generally better 'look' to the finished product.

@Investigator Looks good to me. I assume you will probably put up some plywood on the walls to hang thing from. I bet it will help keep it warm inside and reduce the dampness.

Back