Starting a new shop building

Son is fine, it was the coworker friend who does the spray insulation that had the virus. Son helped me spray.

Yes, I already have 3/4 Advantech OSB to go all around the walls.

As far as the R value, I think 1" of foam is supposedly a R-7, but that really isn't an applicable rating for spray foam. Comparing spray foam and batt style insulation via R value is very much like comparing a sports car and a tractor on horsepower. A 60 horsepower tractor will pull plows and implements that a 250 horsepower car wouldn't even move.

The advantage to spray foam, especially in this case the closed-cell foam (which is hard when it cures) is that there is no air penetration at all. Basically I have sprayed my shop with the equivalent of the same insulation in a Yeti cooler.
Do you have any codes you have to meet? Here they won't permit exposed foam. Great stuff for sealing up a building.

Looking great. Always nice to see a project coming together.

Before you get too far on the electrical and once you get the rest of the OSB up, if it were me, I would spray the entire interior with some primer and white paint. Great time to do it before you start putting everything in and having to mask lighting and outlets.

Do you have any codes you have to meet? Here they won't permit exposed foam. Great stuff for sealing up a building.

No I don't, I'm out in the unincorporated area of our county. Having said that, I am not aware of any codes in this area the prohibit exposed foam. In fact, I am aware of several places that have the foam on the underside of the roof, exposed and painted black to hide it.

Looking great. Always nice to see a project coming together.

Before you get too far on the electrical and once you get the rest of the OSB up, if it were me, I would spray the entire interior with some primer and white paint. Great time to do it before you start putting everything in and having to mask lighting and outlets.

You know I have to say I go back and forth on this. I like the idea of lots of light and a bright area, but I also like the 'warmer' look of wood on the walls. I was planning on just painting the area above the OSB and ceiling white. But, every time someone mentions painting I start considering and reconsidering over and over.

On that note, if anyone has pics of their shop with all white walls or with white above and wood walls, I would love to see them. Then I could anguish over my decisions longer.

My last shop I didn't paint and left it all wood, but you could never get enough light and it always seemed dark.

Personal. Its my retirement play shop. The first 40x40 is machining, grinding, welding, cnc plasma. I keep the center front isle open for working on large projects(gates), vehicle, trailers and such. My son is a contractor and I fix some of his broken down stuff. The back 40x20 is metal storage, tractor and everything yard maintenance.

Last edited:
Could consider white masonite for the walls. It is already bright white and will stay that way.

Back