Static Phase Converters On Ebay

If you aren't really looking for a VFD which is a phase converter with variable frequency i.e. variable speed motor and maybe a few other plusses, this should work well for converting from single to three phase power. It doesn't look like it converts from 120 to 220-40 volts either.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

That grinder you have is all about making a nice finish to a certain finite dimension. A SPC has the reputation of making a 3PH motor run rough and at a lower HP rating. The lower HP rating would not be your problem. But you could have a rough running motor that would telegraph that noise to the grind finish. I would get a VFD. A 1PH motor typically runs noisier too, so maybe same grind finish problem if you tried a 1PH motor…Dave.

Last edited:
If you aren't really looking for a VFD which is a phase converter with variable frequency i.e. variable speed motor and maybe a few other plusses, this should work well for converting from single to three phase power. It doesn't look like it converts from 120 to 220-40 volts either.

CHuck the grumpy old guy
A static converter does not convert single-phase into three-phase. It converts a three-phase motor into a capacitor-start capacitor-run single phase motor.

The motor is a 1750 RPM, 1/2 hp, 3 phase, 9 lead. Currently it's wired for 440. I have 220 single-phase available, and I am running a VFD on my mill, and a static on the lathe.

The grinder also has a 440 mag starter that would need replacing. But if I go with a VFD, I wouldn't need that, right? I would want to wire up a switch.

It just seems that a VFD is overkill on such a small machine, where I don't need variable speed. And costwise, it is higher, although not enough to really drive my decision. I was looking more for convenience, since (if the grinder winds up where I think it will) it probably won't be hardwired. I was thinking that I could mount both the convertor and the starter on the base, and just use an extension cord to plug into the 220 receptacle.

I think variable speed would be useful on a grinder. It can make the wheels act softer or harder than at the nominal speed. Just need to make sure to set it up so you cannot over speed the wheels beyond their ratings, which would be unsafe.

Last edited:
Thanks, Jim. They both look great! Any preference for the 110 vs. 220 input?

I normally use the 120V models on semi-portable stuff. If the equipment is going to be pretty much in a permanent location, then I would bring 220 to the machine.

Back