Stationary Steam Engine

Patrick

Registered
Registered
One of the steam engines I made is a configuration of Rudy Kouhoupt horizontal engine. I took his basic plans, re-drew them, upsizing the original design by 2 and added my own personality. This engine is a smooth running piece and will run fine on 25lbs of steam. Just thought I would share with this group.

P1010496.JPG P1010497.JPG

Patrick, welcome to the group. That's one beautiful engine. I like the brickwork. I take it you don't have any binding with the offset on the crosshead?

Patrick,

Welcome! That's some impressive work. Did you cast the flywheels or buy them? Very nice looking engine. If you have others we'd love more pic's. :))

Steve

Very nice engine! What is the diameter of the flywheels so I can get a sense of how big it is?
I like the "brick" stand, too.

Dave

Patrick, welcome to the group. That's one beautiful engine. I like the brickwork. I take it you don't have any binding with the offset on the crosshead?

No binding, runs very smooth

- - - Updated - - -

Patrick,

Welcome! That's some impressive work. Did you cast the flywheels or buy them? Very nice looking engine. If you have others we'd love more pic's. :))

Steve
Steve, the flywheel rings are made from 8" schedule 80 steam pipe and the center hubs are aluminum. The hubs are threaded 5/16-18 and the spokes are mild steel threaded on one end for the hub. the other end of the spokes are silver soldered into the outer rings and the turned smooth on the lathe. The only thing that is for show is the taper hubs securing the flywheels to the crank shaft. I have another engine just like it but built to Rudy's original plans.

welcome aboard Patrick
nice work on the engine
steve

That is a very nice looking engine. Job Well Done I would say.

Cheers,

Tom

Very nicely done. With the brick base and engine construction it looks like an engine right out of an early factory.
gbritnell

Back