Stay off my lawn!

Where I grew up, there was a house down the street, that had the same issue of people driving across their lawn. He tried many things that did not work for long. He even got a large boulder, and someone dug up his lawn, trying to push it. They got it moved about 50 feet, and had the lawn all dug up. You could see the driver tried form several angles. This was back in the 70's, before cameras were reasonable enough for the average joe. He did get a couple of sets of the low voltage lights, and routed them about 10 feet inside his lawn. Funny thing ism those flimsey metal stakes they came with, sucked big time, so he used 12" or so pieces of rebar, set into concrete to hold the lights. 2 or 3 kids tried to run over the lights, and learned how to change tires quick before the cops arrived. It was over a year os more that no one else tried, then I moved, so cannot tell the ending of the story.

Looks like boulders are in my future.

This is a cautionary tale. Years ago I was having lunch with a steel salesman. He told of a client who lived in a rural area and became tired of having his mailbox vandalized. He purchased a 6' piece of 4x4x1/4 wall steel tube, sunk it in the ground supported by and filled with about a yard of concrete. He then clad it with wood for aesthetics. The next incident killed the passenger and hospitalized the driver.

As long as the mailbox was built at the correct distance from the road then it's not really any different from a street light or telephone pole. If some idiot wraps themselves around a telephone pole, no one blames the phone company for putting it there.

This is a cautionary tale. Years ago I was having lunch with a steel salesman. He told of a client who lived in a rural area and became tired of having his mailbox vandalized. He purchased a 6' piece of 4x4x1/4 wall steel tube, sunk it in the ground supported by and filled with about a yard of concrete. He then clad it with wood for aesthetics. The next incident killed the passenger and hospitalized the driver.

A cautionary tale for drivers, or property owners?

Mine is built the same way, only it's 3/8 wall 4x4 tube, sunk in the ground about 8 ft, but no concrete. But to hit it, you would pretty much have to go through a power pole and my chain link fence first which are closer to the road, about 30 ft away.

I can vividly recall back in my youth doing something similarly stupid on a dirt bike and being rewarded with a peppering of bird shot. Message received loud and clear. You didn't dare tell anyone either to avoid the half hour lecture on how stupid your were and serves you right. How times have changed.

Back