MON Steady Rest, Taper Attachment

Jonathans

Professional Fish Killer
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I bit the bullet and picked up a Monarch 10EE after playing with my 9" SB for a while.
Does anyone know where I can find a steady rest for it?
I would also like a taper attachment.
Thanks

They sure are proud of their prices for a steady rest on eBay! Ouch! Taper attachments are much harder to find. You may hang out on the Monarch 10EE Forum on Yahoo. That would probably be your best bet finding stuff.

Taper attachment for EE is going to cost some change, likely 500-1000. They are very nice, micrometer adjust, etc. Many of the ones you will see for sale will be missing some parts. I would post on the PM monarch board or at least watch there. If you are patient you can pick up a steady by watching ebay for steady that is mislabeled or not labeled by brand. That is how I got mine for $100.

michael

If you are having buyers remorse now. I can help you with that. Just sent the 10EE over to my house and I will continue the bullet biting for you…Dave.

Well, I saw a nice steady on ebay but the price looked like they thought it was made of some precious alloy or something. What the heck, I thew them and offer and they bit.
So I have me a steady in the mail. Now to find a taper attachment. Thanks for the suggestions. Dave, your welcome to come by my place and sit with the 10ee sometime if that will help.

I have never used a Monarch taper attachment. I hear they are the berrys, work really well. Have you considered making one? There is some really good information out there about doing so. Several threads on the unmentionable web site.

Tim

I think I learned today that I may not be able to retrofit a Monarch taper attachment to my lathe without replacing some major components of my cross feed carriage.
Tim, I'd be very interested in making one. I'll do some searching to see what I can find. Is what you are referring to specific to a 10EE or Generic?

Everyone seems to wants a taper attachment, but they mostly just sit there and collect dust. You talk to real toolmakers and they will usually tell you that it's just machine tool bling. What do you NEED it for?

There was an article in Home Shop Machinist some year back that went through making a taper attachment from scrap.

Here's another article: http://www.kinzers.com/don/MachineTools/taper_att/

Cal

Last edited:
Well Cal, I'm sort of embarrassed to say that the only project I had in mind requiring a taper attachment was to make a black powder cannon someday!
Thanks for the link to the article.

That makes two of us I guess because a cannon is on my "someday" list. I recently purchased a 10EE and was able to get a taper attachment and the other parts needed to use it from a fellow parting a 10EE out.

Regards.

Bob
Well Cal, I'm sort of embarrassed to say that the only project I had in mind requiring a taper attachment was to make a black powder cannon someday!
Thanks for the link to the article.

Back