steady rest

fkrel

Registered
Registered
Just picked up a 10-326 steady rest with new brass inserts off E-bay for $100 I have been looking for one for awhile but people think they are made of gold.

Good deal! For all of the Atlas lathes being parted out and sold on ebay these days, it surprises me that something like a steady is so highly priced. If Atlas produced roughly one for every lathe, then there should be a surplus on those. It's not like they universally wear out or get damaged...

If Atlas produced roughly one for every lathe, then there should be a surplus on those. It's not like they universally wear out or get damaged...

I think the main problem is as follows.

Some one clearing out a workshop "Whats that thing ? ow well in the metal scrap it go"

:(

Stu

Yep, that plus Atlas didn't sell one to everyone who bought a lathe. For example, if a buyer also bought an armature chuck kit and commutator undercut kit with a 10" or 12", or for that matter 6", the buyer was probably buying it for motor rebuilding and wouldn't have had any use for a steady rest.

My original plan was to just build one and looked at a few online that were crude but did work for them. I have plans of building a couple driveshafts this summer for my offroad jeep so I have been watching ebay and craigslist when I found this one and I was the only one that bid on it, there were plenty of them for $200 and up so I feel lucky that I got this one.

Back