steam eng.

Hey,thanks for passing that link/video along. I love the design. I wish the video had audio of the working unit as well as more info about operating speeds, torques etc...

Ray

Here's all the info you want... http://www.cyclonepower.com/index.html

Duh! I knew that design looked familiar... I just looked at one of my Physics 101 books and we solved problems based on a 3 cylinder version of the same thing while studying the Rankine cycle. I'd be willing to bet that every basic physics and thermodynamics book in the past 60 years has a whole series of problems based on an engine sketch just like that. BTW: Rankine cycle has been around pre-advent of the steam engine. Funny how us guys are attracted to old technology packaged in new ways.

Man, I might just have to build one of these things!

Ray

Thank you for the post and vote of confidence.. I had seen it before but had not given it much thought. I need to research it more now that it has appeared again. I don't think you can build one Ray, it's patented. This should prove to be a good discussion.

"Billy G"

Interesting that they seem to purposely ignore two of the usual rules for radial engines (steam or otherwise):
1) An even number of cylinders (instead of the usual odd number) means that two cylinders always cross center at the same time
2) There does not appear to be a "master" rod in the crank design. What keeps the rod disk from twisting on the shaft?

Single acting cylinders is probably an improvement over traditional double acting cylinders. In the single action, the bearings remain loaded in one direction and the "knocking" that plagues double action is mostly eliminated.

There doesn't appear to be any type of expansion control in the valve mechanism - not enough details to tell.

Their boiler design is a "flash boiler." Very similar to that which was used in the Stanley and White steamers of the early 1900's.
You see one of the major problems with steam power in the boat photos - the boiler assembly takes up much more volume than the engine itself.

I disagree with their claim of reduced greenhouse gases. Burning carbon makes CO2 no matter how you do it.

Cool design nonetheless.
Terry S.

Back