Steamboat ?

JPigg55

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've recently become very interested in live steam.
In particular, I'd like to find or build a small, steam driven side or stern wheel boat for running around on lakes and rivers.
Would like something small enough that it could be trailered, but large enough to carry somewhere between 6-12 people.
Been doing some research on Google, but with very limited success.
Looking for info on where to start looking/learning about steam engines, boilers, regulations, paddle wheel boats, etc.
Thanks for any help/info you may have.

A good place to start would be Live Steam magazine. I have not subscribed to it myself for a few years (I should though) but they always had a section each issue on steam boats, which covered everything from small steam launches to full size ferries, tugs, and stern wheelers.

They also have a section in the back of the magazine listing many of the clubs in the country. Most of them are live steam railroads, but some are for steam launches, etc. You might get lucky and find that there is a group in your area that you could join and get some first hand experience.

At the very least, you should be able to find some more places to do your research.

Too bad you weren't closer. An old friend has taken the notion to build what was called an Alligator steam tug.
woodchuck.jpg

He's got a few friends myself included interested but not sure where I'll find the time. He has a boiler and engine lined up for the project.
IMG_1208.jpg

We were actually at a saw mill today sourcing the 2 inch white oak for the bottom of the hull.

Greg

woodchuck.jpg IMG_1208.jpg

Thanks Terry.
I've thought about Live Steam Magazine, hoping to find a copy in a book store somewhere before subscribing. Was wanting to make sure they contain the type of info I'm looking for before spending the money on a subscription.
Greg, thanks for the post. I'd never heard of an Alligator Tug before. I like the lay-out, but the pictures and Youtube videos I saw seem to suggest that they have a deep draft. I'm kind of wanting something that has a shallow draft.
I found one up for auction on eBay the other day, needed a major restoration. There was only a couple days left when I found the listing (currently ended and not re-listed). I wrote the owner, but didn't get a replay. Problem for me was it was located over a 1,000 miles away and was too large to trailer. Would have cost a fortune to ship by Semi not to mention all the permits and over-sized load expenses. I save the pictures to my computer and will try to post here.
$_14.jpg$_17.jpg$_16.jpg$_15.jpg

Just so much to learn. Flat bottom vs Vee bottom, Side Wheel vs Stern Wheel vs Propeller, Oil fired vs Gas fired vs Wood fired, etc.

$_14.jpg $_15.jpg $_16.jpg $_17.jpg

Back