Steel Building Info

Spray foam is worth the money. My buddy foamed my shop, it's 20x20 , my undersized heater barely runs even when it's been down around zero . There's about 2-3" of closed cell in the walls and and 6-7" in the rafters .
If you go foam , get the closed cell type. It cost's a little more but it's worth it .

Yep. That's what I did on mine. I paid for 2"-3" but its a lot thicker than that in most places.
DSCF0519.jpg
Nice looking shop! If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for the spray foam? did you go with open or closed cell foam? The recommendations were to use closed cell when possible but now the opinions are use open cell to know when a leak occurs and the water won't be trapped between the roof and the foam.
Foam is the way to go if it's in the budget, is the pricing coming down?

Mike

Morton buildings, a friend had one put up and he is very happy with it.

Nice looking shop! If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for the spray foam? did you go with open or closed cell foam? The recommendations were to use closed cell when possible but now the opinions are use open cell to know when a leak occurs and the water won't be trapped between the roof and the foam.
Foam is the way to go if it's in the budget, is the pricing coming down?

Mike
The shop is 25x34 and I put it up in 2004/2005. Its Icynene foam and I paid $1400. Well worth it.
http://www.icynene.com/en-us/about-us

I found my new (stored in a container for a few years but never assembled) 24'x36' red iron steel building on CL for cheap.
I'm in central Florida, so I opted for closed cell spray foam insulation and central A/C.

Keep an eye out on Craigslist. Sometimes you can find a nice building for a really good price if you are willing to take it down and remove it.

If you get spray foam insulation, be careful and make sure you check the foam thickness after it expands. I didn't and found out that it was "thin" in numerous places when the A/C installer cut away the foam to run a drain outside. So I called the foam company and made them come back out and respray everything they did. It was supposed to be 2"-3".

20140813_113336_zpstlujq4dz.jpg

Last edited:
Back