Steering Wheel-style Quill Feed

schmidty13

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Back when I got my BP I saw someone selling a quill feed handle that resembled a steering wheel. I opted for a Twin-Grip, and while I like it, after using it for awhile I can see many situations where a wheel would be helpful.

It wasn't like a typical feed wheel, it was basically a 10"-12" steering wheel adapted to attach to the mill. Anyone seen this? My Google-fu is usually pretty good, but this thing is eluding me.

I believe Tom Lipton/Oxtools did that to his BP a while back. I think for sensitivity? Sure beats trying to grab the next handle.

Quillwheel.com. They sell em on ebay. A while back they gave em to a number of YT'rs to try.

I don't have a knee mill but personally I think they're too big & awkward & the use of a sport/racing style car steering wheel looks tacky. Good idea though.

Randy Richard used a smaller wheel & looks better IMO. Outsidescrewball used some sort of tractor steering wheel & looks fine to me but what caught my interest is he adapted the use of the original style handle in addition to the wheel.

Thank you, Will! That's it!

Now that I see the price, I remember why I didn't buy it earlier. I had hoped to just buy since time is at such a premium right now, but I guess I will have to add this to the to-do list.

I don't know how, but I had missed Outsidescrewball (now subscribed). I love his idea of keeping both. Thanks for mentioning him. I hope when I push the button on mine three times it calls This Old Tony, also! ;)

Last edited:
I made mine from the foot rest of a bar stool. I'm looking for a picture but might have to brave the -8 F to get out to the shop.
Aaron
DSCF4131.JPG

Last edited:
Actually a simple project. Made mine using an old aftermarket steering wheel I had laying around. A piece of aluminum stock, some minor lathe work and a few bolts is all thats needed.

I use a shortish home made triple tree and sometimes use the original single handle when
clearance is a problem. I guess the "wheel" is good for them that likes it.

I made mine from the foot rest of a bar stool. I'm looking for a picture but might have to brave the -8 F to get out to the shop.
I like the bar stool idea...right up my alley! ;)

And that cold right now...wow. On our way to -18F tonight, supposed to be flirting with -30F later this week. Brrr! To any Canadian members; we found the cold air you lost, please come take it back immediately.

I have a steering wheel from an old tractor, AC if I remember correctly, waiting to be mounted. It is brand ner. I think I got it on flea bay.

Not quite the same thing but I used a 13" Cub Cadet wheel for the draw bar on my RF30, they're about $40 on ebay.

Quill wheel_1.jpg

Not the final version.

Quill wheel_3.jpg

I was thinking about using a few more on the quill & head elevation as well buy those may be "someday" projects.

Back