Stellite and other special/unusual tool bits

Back in early 60's I remember my father having exhaust valves built up with Stellite welding and re-ground at local garage.
Took about 20~30 minutes per valve, Joe Morgan wouldn't let us see what was going on. His grandson was still running the place last time I saw him.

As Ben mentioned above, 'exited' memory banks. Memory is such a fleeting thing.
I started out in the tool room and had totally forgotten about Tatung & other Stellite items.
We handled all the perishable cutting tools and such.

So I came across a 3/4"x1"x6" 'Parallel' in my drawer. No markings on it except for the two notchs.
Magnet slide off. It'll probably spend the rest of it's time with me as a parallel.

Hmm, just thinking out loud.
Could you use stellite welding rods to place a bead on the end of a chunk of steel and sharpen it for a cutting tool?

I have no idea but would be interested to know. Can stellite be used to machine titanium?

Hmm, just thinking out loud.
Could you use stellite welding rods to place a bead on the end of a chunk of steel and sharpen it for a cutting tool?

I would imagine so. I've been in the plastics industry a long time and a majority of the extrusion screws I have experience with have stellite welded onto the tips of the screw flights (major diameter of thread in machinists lingo) where the screw rubs against the barrel (commonly hastelloy).

While I have seen it chip, it is a rare occation considering the millions of run hrs on over 100 extruders running 24/7 at 500F plus or minus 100F depending on the polymer.

Interesting to see them fabricated.They start with a blank larger than the screw OD, machine a groove in the blank that coincides with the future flight tips then lay the stellite weld into the groove. The screw is straightened and then machined and polished. The stellite is essentially invisible after that.

Last edited:
I believe that Stellite cutting tools are for cast iron and non ferrous metals, not steel.

I have one, lonely stellite tool. It has worked well in all materials including titanium. Nice find!

Thanks Dabbler, I have a friend in Wa. who is going to try titanium soon, he'll be interested to know Stellite works.

I used to make thousands of stellite bearings out of bar stock. That was in the 60’s and back then the 7/8 dia bars were $ 9600 each. I still have a few parts in my tool box. We used to keep the chips in clean barrels and when we had enough of them we had them cleaned with ultrasonic cleaning at 50 cents a pound then sold them
back to maker. One time I had 25 thousand dollars worth of chips in the back of company truck . That was enough to buy a house back then.
I still have carbide file I used to break edges on parts. The stellite would cut a standard file.

Back