Stepper Motor Cable

papermaker

Active User
Registered
I'm curious as to what type of cable/wire everyone is using in the X2 CNC conversions to run from the stepper motors to the drivers. I'm using the Monster kit from Probotix in my conversion. The motors have 8 leads but there are two pairs that are wired together so I will need 6 conductors. They recommend 18-22 ga. wire but everything I've found so far in that wire gauge is solid and not stranded. Does that make any difference? I've read somewhere that the solid is a better conductor.

Anyway just curious what everyone else is using. Thanks...

From Wiki:

Solid wire, also called solid-core or single-strand wire, consists of one piece of metal wire. Stranded wire is composed of smaller gauge wire bundled or wrapped together to form a larger conductor.
Stranded wire is more flexible than solid wire of the same total cross-sectional area. Solid wire is cheaper to manufacture than stranded wire and is used where there is little need for flexibility in the wire. Solid wire also provides mechanical ruggedness; and, because it has relatively less surface area which is exposed to attack by corrosives, protection against the environment. Stranded wire is used when higher resistance to metal fatigue is required. Such situations include connections between circuit boards in multi-printed-circuit-board devices, where the rigidity of solid wire would produce too much stress as a result of movement during assembly or servicing; A.C. line cords for appliances; musical instrument cables; computer mouse cables; welding electrode cables; control cables connecting moving machine parts; mining machine cables; trailing machine cables; and numerous others.
At high frequencies, current travels near the surface of the wire because of the skin effect, resulting in increased power loss in the wire. Stranded wire might seem to reduce this effect, since the total surface area of the strands is greater than the surface area of the equivalent solid wire, but ordinary stranded wire does not reduce the skin effect because all the strands are short-circuited together and behave as a single conductor. A stranded wire will have higher resistance than a solid wire of the same diameter because the cross-section of the stranded wire is not all copper; there are unavoidable gaps between the strands (this is the circle packing problem for circles within a circle). A stranded wire with the same cross-section of conductor as a solid wire is said to have the same equivalent gauge and is always a larger diameter.
However, for many high-frequency applications, proximity effect is more severe than skin effect, and in some limited cases, simple stranded wire can reduce proximity effect. For better performance at high frequencies, litz wire, which has the individual strands insulated and twisted in special patterns, may be used.

end quote

My personal choice is normally stranded for anything that moves. I also don't like the risk of nicking a solid during any stripping that needs to be done, especially on small gauge wire. And no, I don't use a hot stripper. How much of that wire do you need? I may have some. I have quite a collection of various cables with multi-conductors that I get from removal of electronics at a local hospital. Not spools upon spools, but sometimes quite a few feet. Also, you can go to a heavier gauge wire with only the physical size as a drawback, along with the loss of some flexibility.

I don't do CNC but I do know a little bit about wire. If you need the wire to flex you want stranded not solid. You could double up some 18-3 rubber cord if you can't find anything more appropriate. The big electronics houses (Mouser, Digikey etc) probably have what you want but in big expensive rolls.

There is always eBay! (I know nothing about this seller just what I found with a quick search, you may find better deals)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Stepper-Motor-Hook-UP-WIRE-18-6-non-shield-Buy10-increments-/330881673239?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0a15a817

As stated... you WANT stranded. Solid core can break from flexing over time. And having a powered up stepper wire break is a baaaaad thing! Driver will likely go -poof-.
Doesn't matter if it's moving at the time or not. They've always go current going through them, if the power is on.

Belden makes a great assortment of cable.

If you're REALLY feeling daring, you can use plenum rated (stranded) network cable. But it's really hard to work with since it's usually 22ga.
And really - it IS a touch under sized. Though you can double up pairs since you only need 4.

Shielded is a bonus, but not totally required.
(if you DO use the shield, make sure to only connect it at ONE end!)

The plenum vs riser cable difference is in the insulation and the type of smoke emitted if burned. We are required to use plenum cable at the hospitals because of the smoke hazard. You will find that CAT 5 or 6 jumpers are always stranded because they are expected to flex, but standard reels or boxes of cale are solid, in ether riser or plenum.

The plenum vs riser cable difference is in the insulation and the type of smoke emitted if burned. We are required to use plenum cable at the hospitals because of the smoke hazard. You will find that CAT 5 or 6 jumpers are always stranded because they are expected to flex, but standard reels or boxes of cale are solid, in ether riser or plenum.

I just find the jacketing on the plenum rated to be a bit tougher (presumably for going around corners etc and not abrading).
As for the spools... they come either way (solid or stranded). For example: http://www.amazon.com/1000ft-Gray-Cat5-Spool-Stranded/dp/B000067ORF/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

I've STILL got about 6000ft of the stuff from an auction I nailed years ago.
Everyone there thought they were bidding on A SPOOL. I knew it was the whole damn pallet! They were laughing at me when I bid over what a single was worth retail. I had to keep a poker face, then got to laugh at all THEM when the auctioneer moved on to the next lot number! Ha ha ha!!! SUCKERS! :D

I would recommend against using network cable for that much current, it's just too thin. I looked online, and all the 6 conductor 18ga stuff is ridiculously expensive. Do you have a surplus electronic store near you? If so, you might try there. One alternative is to make your own. Get some spools of stranded wire in different colors. Measure out to length, and then encase them in heatshrink, in split loom wire duct, or similar. Personally, I like the expandable polyester sleeving for making cable harnesses. Here are pictures of mine

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Dsqc8i9-gFUidvFNaRs9AdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

These are servos, so they have power lines, and signal lines for the encoders too. Everything is wrapped up nicely, ends heat shrunk, and terminated in nice multi conductor plug connectors.

If you still want pre-made cable, I can take a look at the local surplus place, just let me know how much you want.

Oh, also, I agree with Tony, stranded is the way to go for things that are going to be moving; solid wire will fatigue and break rather quickly.

Since you're running steppers, not servos, you could still use network cable. As I was saying, just double up the pairs. Lots of capacity then. Leads coming off the motors is usually only 18-20ga.

Go find some cat3 that nobody wants anymore. Should be dirt cheap! It's just less twists per foot. And that's meaningless for what you're doing anyhow. Could probably score a whole spool for 20-30$ I'm betting.

Of course, the only trick then is finding it in stranded.

I just find the jacketing on the plenum rated to be a bit tougher (presumably for going around corners etc and not abrading).
As for the spools... they come either way (solid or stranded). For example: http://www.amazon.com/1000ft-Gray-Cat5-Spool-Stranded/dp/B000067ORF/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

I've STILL got about 6000ft of the stuff from an auction I nailed years ago.
Everyone there thought they were bidding on A SPOOL. I knew it was the whole damn pallet! They were laughing at me when I bid over what a single was worth retail. I had to keep a poker face, then got to laugh at all THEM when the auctioneer moved on to the next lot number! Ha ha ha!!! SUCKERS! :D

I didn't mean that it just wasn't made that way, just that by a wide margin, more network runs in either plenum or riser are solid. It's simply cheaper. The stranded is a little harder to work with on the RJ 45 connectors, jacks mostly. Plugs will crimp on it OK. Punchdown tools don't seem to like the stranded.

Back