Stepper Motor Cable

I've been running the stranded multi color flat ribbon cables and IDC connectors. Nice clean and well organized wiring and very easy to follow when tracing a circuist. The idc connectors just snap onto the ribbon and displace the insulation enough to make an electrical connection. I don't use them for above 1 amp or above 24 VDC. At those currents and voltages I use crimp connectors crimped and soldered onto the end of the wire, usually 14 to16 Ga or even larger.

Wheelchair Bob

It really pay to be a packrat and also clean your shop. I had completely forgotten that I had stashed away some 6 conductor,stranded,shielded cable from spare parts off my other mill. Now all I need to do is find some plugs for the ends. Pretty sure I don't have any of those stashed.

If the cable you have doesn't work out, you may want to take a look at 8 conductor rotator cable. This type of cable uses stranded wire, and it already has two of the conductors of a larger size. So there is 6 wires that are say 18 ga and the other 2 will be 16 ga. You can also get it in smaller wire sizes and I think up to 14 ga for the two large conductors. New it runs a little less than $1.00 per foot. It is also outdoor rated and the jacket is pretty tough. There is some available on my favorite auction site now. This stuff is often available used. If you know any amateur radio operators (hams), they should be able to help you locate some locally.

Mitch

Back