• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Stepper Torque?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

slow-poke

Hi,

I Recently picked up an old but functional 1.5HP, LC-30A mill. I'm considering converting this to CNC on a budget.

I'm comfortable with the electrical/electronics, and have a lathe and this mill to make parts, but have no experience with CNC.

I will be looking for advice for a suitable kit or parts (motors, sensors, drivers) to "roll my own".

To start I might just order a Geckodrive G210 and a suitable stepper, mate it to the left X-axis drive (take the LHS hand wheel off) and enjoy having auto x feed. Can anyone recommend a suitably powerful enough stepper motor for this purpose.

Camtronics (http://www.seanet.com/~dmauch/) has a series of motors ranging from 156 oz-in up to 1800 oz-in. I suppose I could put a torque wrench on the x-axis drive and try milling something to get a sense of the required torque, or I could ask here?

Last edited:

jbolt

Active User
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
I'm not familiar with this mill. Can you post a picture? From what I can gather it is a round column mill? If so then I presume you will be driving the Z quill?

There are several build logs here you might want to look at for ideas of what other people have done.

Also take a look at automationtechnologies.com for there offerings on motors, drives and power supplies. Ebay is a good source as well.

I'm running pretty stout steppers on my PM932 conversion. 34 size 1800 oz-in on the X&Y and 42 size 4200 oz-in on the Z but I am driving the head.

I would start at 34 size 1200 oz-in and up for the X&Y. For driving the quill I would start at 34 size in 600 oz-in.

slow-poke

This is what it looks like. I will start with the X-axis, then the Y axis, and then possibly the Z-axis
20170530_093421.jpg

f350ca

Active User
H-M Supporter-Donating Member
[6]
[5] [7]