Stepper Torque?

slow-poke

Registered
Registered
Hi,

I Recently picked up an old but functional 1.5HP, LC-30A mill. I'm considering converting this to CNC on a budget.

I'm comfortable with the electrical/electronics, and have a lathe and this mill to make parts, but have no experience with CNC.

I will be looking for advice for a suitable kit or parts (motors, sensors, drivers) to "roll my own".

To start I might just order a Geckodrive G210 and a suitable stepper, mate it to the left X-axis drive (take the LHS hand wheel off) and enjoy having auto x feed. Can anyone recommend a suitably powerful enough stepper motor for this purpose.

Camtronics (http://www.seanet.com/~dmauch/) has a series of motors ranging from 156 oz-in up to 1800 oz-in. I suppose I could put a torque wrench on the x-axis drive and try milling something to get a sense of the required torque, or I could ask here?

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with this mill. Can you post a picture? From what I can gather it is a round column mill? If so then I presume you will be driving the Z quill?

There are several build logs here you might want to look at for ideas of what other people have done.

Also take a look at automationtechnologies.com for there offerings on motors, drives and power supplies. Ebay is a good source as well.

I'm running pretty stout steppers on my PM932 conversion. 34 size 1800 oz-in on the X&Y and 42 size 4200 oz-in on the Z but I am driving the head.

I would start at 34 size 1200 oz-in and up for the X&Y. For driving the quill I would start at 34 size in 600 oz-in.

This is what it looks like. I will start with the X-axis, then the Y axis, and then possibly the Z-axis
20170530_093421.jpg

Back