Stevens Maynard Jr. .22 cal. rifle

melsdad

Active User
Registered
I was asked to take a look at this rifle by a friend. This man is 75 years old and this was his grandfathers rifle. He wants to pass it along to his grandson but wants to fix a few issues first.

sy9esyzy.jpg
uqaqu4ep.jpg
4ajynade.jpg
The main problem is the action does not stay locked in place the lever drops easily and the action opens.

I have not removed a screw yet till I gather more details about the rifle.

Any of you gunsmiths ever worked on these rifles before?

The story I was told is his great grandfather earned it from a local feed store for buying a certain quantity of pig feed. Apparently they would give these rifles to there good customers (pig farmers) for killing the hogs for slaughtering and shooting rats in the barn. I guess it was intended as a barn gun.

Brian,

Did you ever solve your Maynard Jr. problem(s)? This thread is from July, but I just came across it. Not sure if you've seen it, but De Haas did a nice write up on the Jr. and addressed its issues. Just curious. If you haven't got around to it yet, I can scan the pages and post them.

Regards,
Jeremy

Brian,

Did you ever solve your Maynard Jr. problem(s)? This thread is from July, but I just came across it. Not sure if you've seen it, but De Haas did a nice write up on the Jr. and addressed its issues. Just curious. If you haven't got around to it yet, I can scan the pages and post them.

Regards,
Jeremy

I have not done anything with that rifle. It has been pushed to the back burner for lack of information I was able to find.

Anything you can offer would be greatly appreciated!!

I'll try to scan the pages for you today. I'll also scan those for the Marksman, which was modeled after the Jr. but modified and beefed up. I had this problem with my Marksman. I made a new link screw and replaced the worn one as De Haas suggested. Works fine now. There's a little bit of information in the Grant book as well. I'll try to scan it too.

Jeremy

Hopefully these help. The Grant books are enjoyable to read, but De Haas discusses any problems and possible solutions a certain rifle may have. The diagrams are also extremely helpful if parts are missing or a rifle just isn't going back together the way it came apart. Let me know if you need anything else. I'm heading to South Dakota for a couple of weeks, but I'll have internet access. I'm certainly no expert, but I've done a fair amount of repairs, etc. to many types of Stevens rifles in my collection, so let me know if you need anything. Maybe it'll be something I can help with.

Regards,
Jeremy

DeHaasPage127.jpg
DeHaasPage128.jpg
DeHaasPage129.jpg
DeHaasPage149.jpg
DeHaasPage150.jpg
DeHaasPage151.jpg
DeHaasPage152.jpg
GrantPag33.jpg
GrantPage35.jpg
GrantPage36.jpg

DeHaasPage127.jpg

DeHaasPage127.jpg

DeHaasPage127.jpg

DeHaasPage128.jpg

DeHaasPage128.jpg

DeHaasPage128.jpg

DeHaasPage129.jpg

DeHaasPage129.jpg

DeHaasPage129.jpg

DeHaasPage149.jpg

DeHaasPage149.jpg

DeHaasPage149.jpg

DeHaasPage150.jpg

DeHaasPage150.jpg

DeHaasPage150.jpg

DeHaasPage151.jpg

DeHaasPage151.jpg

DeHaasPage151.jpg

DeHaasPage152.jpg

DeHaasPage152.jpg

DeHaasPage152.jpg

GrantPag33.jpg

GrantPag33.jpg

GrantPag33.jpg

GrantPage35.jpg

GrantPage35.jpg

GrantPage35.jpg

GrantPage36.jpg

GrantPage36.jpg

GrantPage36.jpg

Awesome information! I will look through this very soon. I'm sure it will help!

A friend just rebuilt a Marksman and i am working on several Favorites. The main problem is wear on the screws and holes in the moving action parts. We have been drilling out and bushing with 954 Alum. Bronze to tighten it all back up. The type of steel used in that period wore from 100 or so years of use and the levers will droop open. Tighten it back up and it will lock up and work great again. We have made some screws that were badly worn out of much better steel like grade 8 cap screws, with Al. Bronze bushings they should work for 100 more years, IF you can get ammo....

Back