Steyr SSG 69 PI - agonizing over purchase

samthedog

Token Aussie
Registered
Hey gents. I walked into the local gun shop and saw a mint Steyr SSG 69 PI with a Swarovski Hibicht Nova 1.5-6x42 (in reasonable shape - just some scratches in the paint but the glass is pristine) for $1850 USD. The rifle has fired under 100 rounds since 86 when it was manufactured and the magazine, spacers and trigger guard which are all polymer are in great shape.

These were discontinued in 2015 so are hard to come by and this one was purchased by the military to accuracy test as a sniper rifle in 87 then shelved. I don't have anything in .308 as my main rifle is a 6.5x55 Swede so this would fill a hole.

steyr1.jpg

It's identical to the above rifle with the same stock and butter knife bolt handle. What are your thoughts gents? I am not sure on the price of these but have heard nothing but great things about their accuracy. I like the classics and have a Steyr Schönauer in 6.5x55, a Belgian Browning SA22 and a Sako M72 .22 so this would likely fit in nicely.

Opinions welcome.

Paul.

Sounds like you have some pretty good glass on that long gun. I guess it would depend on what you would like to use it for. If you are a fan of Steyr and like their product line, then there is absolutely no problem with buying simply for that reason. If you are trying to get the most "Bang" for your buck, then there are likely other options that can be just as good for less money. There are lots of 800yd rifles out there that are pretty good. But, I do know that you want to have excellent glass if you want to see out there at good distances and collect ample light. My 2 cents.

BUY IT!!! If you don’t you will spend the rest of your life wondering “what if” there is no time to be “wishy washy “ you only live once, live without regrets.

Sounds like you have some pretty good glass on that long gun. I guess it would depend on what you would like to use it for. If you are a fan of Steyr and like their product line, then there is absolutely no problem with buying simply for that reason. If you are trying to get the most "Bang" for your buck, then there are likely other options that can be just as good for less money. There are lots of 800yd rifles out there that are pretty good. But, I do know that you want to have excellent glass if you want to see out there at good distances and collect ample light. My 2 cents.
I know that a Remy could be made to shoot as well and it is probably a bit more robust but it will take some money to get it there. I am attracted to this rifle as it is a good performer out of the box and the fact they are no longer made makes it a bit exclusive too.

BUY IT!!! If you don’t you will spend the rest of your life wondering “what if” there is no time to be “wishy washy “ you only live once, live without regrets.

*sigh* I am seriously considering "pulling the trigger" on the rifle for this very reason.

Paul.

I look at it as an investment. If you have the cash and you won't loose money if you decide to sell it down the road, buy it. If either is not true, walk away. Shop around to see if the price is right.

It looks like a greatexample of the time. The optics were top-line back then, but if you really plan to use the rifle now for long range, that scope would be a limiting factor. 6x isn't much these days, and putting a high-end long range scope on it will cost over $1000, or much more. You could put a nice modern Vortex on it, but then you kind of wreck the classic charm of the gun.

As a collector piece, nice find. As a long range shooter, I'd probably pass. A new Savage would out-shoot it, most likely.

Paul, what have you decided? Its a great gun for sure but buying from a gun shop you are not likely getting a bargain.

Back