Stick welder under $800.00 ?

I really can’t say. I bought the welder to learn TIG. It does great. I tried stick for the first time the other week. First with 7018, and it was a miserable failure. I’m sure if I was experiencing, it would run 7018 fine. I was welding rebar to make lattices in my garden. At the recommendation of another member here, I tried 6011 and it welded great. I have no other stick experience. As for its TIG performance, remember I’m a novice in all welding disciplines, it was easier for me than my Lincoln Precision Tig 185. I bought it for aluminum but haven’t tried it for that yet.

Just from my experience with both low and high-dollar inverters, dollars to donuts that it won't properly run 6010s. It actually takes very specific circuitry to run 6010s due to the voltage necessary. If it were easy/cheap, they would all be able to, but they don't :)

Just from my experience with both low and high-dollar inverters, dollars to donuts that it won't properly run 6010s. It actually takes very specific circuitry to run 6010s due to the voltage necessary. If it were easy/cheap, they would all be able to, but they don't :)

Yep, you need a high open circuit voltage to run 6010. I spent about 7 hours today burning 3/32” 6010 rods at 80A on my Miller Dynasty 210DX.

6010 is a good time, all the time!

Perhaps I've missed the spirit of the thread....

I will not attempt to discourage anyone to purchase an new machine. Can be huge fun!
However, sometimes we fall into marketing traps that the newest and latest is really the only option.
Specifically, we discourage newbies from getting started because they can't afford the "good" stuff.
Some might consider getting an old Lincoln Tombstone AC/DC or similar they are often cheap (sometimes free) on CL and rummage sales.
Note: sometimes disassembly is required to remove the mice nests.
These have worked well for decades and put alot of weld down.
It's hard to break the old and simple technology.

Lets be sure not to discourage the newbs. Please.

Daryl
MN

That is a deal killer for me. I also love to run 6010 !

Last edited:
I’m currently running a Miller Maxstar 210, runs 6010 great, but unfortunately it does not meet the price or weight requirements.

Another question is:

Of all the commercially available power supplies that are *actually* able to run 6010, what is the weight of the lightest one?

And, of course, what is the make & model of such an electrical marvel?

Cr2348455, I hadn't yet realized you asked about the Inverarc 200TLP in a previous thread until I scrolled down, lol.

Another question is:

Of all the commercially available power supplies that are *actually* able to run 6010, what is the weight of the lightest one?

And, of course, what is the make & model of such an electrical marvel?

Good question. Mine is about 15lbs without the leads. My stinger/ground leads actually weigh more than the machine, LOL.

uc

Cr2348455, I hadn't yet realized you asked about the Inverarc 200TLP in a previous thread until I scrolled down, lol.

Good question. Mine is about 15lbs without the leads. My stinger/ground leads actually weigh more than the machine, LOL.

uc

So does it capably run 6010?

To the OP: this machine weighs under 20 pounds, runs 6010 like a boss (it’s OCV is 101V!), but does not meet the price requirement and (sort of) gives you GTAW ability which you were not asking for.

Would not be a terrible choice if you were willing to blow the budget:

In comparison, the OCV of my Miller Dynasty 210DX is on the order of 74.4V, and it does run 6010 like a boss (which I how I will spend my day, starting right now).

Last edited:
So does it capably run 6010?
I wouldn't have mentioned it if it couldn't. :)

Not only can it easily run it...

It can run two at the same time with no work clamp....two stingers simultaneously o_O

As you can see, this ain't no mickey mouse stick welder. :) Even though OCV only tells a part of the story....here is what the HTP offers...

uc

Last edited:
Back