Sticker shocked

MikeWi

Active User
Registered
So I'm playing with the idea of making a small tire lift for mounting wheels back on the car. Simple thing to do, but not much room in the garage for me and the tire.
Acme rod would make the most sense for the lifting screw wear-wise (to me any way) and McMaster Carr has it pretty cheap. Ok I say, lets see about something like a flange nut for it. $98! :eek:. Think I'll rig up something using a coupler nut instead. LOL Wow. Just wow. I don't understand that.

Look at the wheel lifters for big trucks. Most of them use a Hydraulic jack. Search around, and copy, instead of reinventing the wheel.

zzzz.PNG

zzz.jpg

Make it that is why we have a lathe or it is a good justification for buying a lathe. We all just need a new reason for an other tool.

Acme rod would make the most sense for the lifting screw wear-wise (to me any way) and McMaster Carr has it pretty cheap. Ok I say, lets see about something like a flange nut for it. $98!

Don't know what size Acme nut you were looking at but I assume it's not a small size. You think $98 for the nut is bad, look up how much the Acme tap costs on Mcmaster! Good thing it's a size where you could probably grind your own tool & single point to make the nut if you decided to go that route.

I deal with large tires at work some that weigh twice my weight. I’ve learned to only lift the vehicle as high as needed then roll the tire on and off. The worst is when the hub doesn’t have studs, or a location flange on hub and you have align a hole while trying to thread a stud in. Lower the car you won’t have to lift the wheel. My 2 cents

Tires are not that heavy, hydraulic jack, acme, crank and pulley, off the shelf, modify of floor car jack (weld to floor tounges and two lifting tounges two hold tires), etc.
So many options, good low price

Guess one might try the old molded delrin trick too...

-frank

Back