Sticky Bearings?

TORQUIN

Registered
Registered
My series 60, 14" lathe has what seems to be sticky spindle bearings. The lathe runs fine, but the spindle is hard to turn by hand, and gets harder the longer the spindle sits idle. Most of the time I have to use the chuck wrench to get enough leverage to get it to turn.
Has anyone experienced this, and know of a solution?

Thanks,
Chris

I have seen sticky bearings on my drill press. Similar symptoms.

When I looked at the bearings, the old lubricant used had turned brownish/yellow and gummy.
I ran some WD40 thru; only as a cleaner, NOT a lubricant.
Then put in the same ISO32 hydraulic tractor oil I use for the lathe and mill.
It's not sticky now.

-brino

Thanks. I may need to use transmission fluid, as the way it's lubed I need to change out the entire head stock worth of lube.

Thanks,
Chris

Since it arrived in September, I was not able to use the lathe much, due to its position in the garage. I have rearranged my machines now and have more space so I have been using the 14" more. I now feel like I just have a really tight spindle brake, as I began to notice that sometime the spindle would be free after disengaging the clutch. If I can find the sweet spot, as there isn't much room between where the clutch disengages and the brake application, the spindle will turn by hand. I have never felt a clutch lever like this, as other lathes, and my 12CK, have "looser" brake engagements. I may still try to flush the gearbox, but it will be more for cleaning out the old oil and stains that go with it.

Thanks,
Chris

I would flush it with kerosene, fill with cheap gear oil, drain and refill with good machine-tool gear oil. I would guess that Mobile DTE Heavy-Medium would be the right viscosity.

Avoid using solvents, like WD-40. I don't know about a series 60, but using solvents in the spindle bearings of a 10EE dissolves the sealant used at the factory and you have leaky spindle bearings from then out.

Back